The Only Exception

My eyes fluttered open once I felt the coldness next to me as my hand searched beside me for a warm figure. I didn’t know how to express the anger and disappointment I felt when I found the space where Zayn was a couple of hours before empty and cold. I had an inkling that he would stay. He looks like someone who would stay the night. I shouldn’t have expected him to. Moments from last night came flooding in, making me a little light headed. Everything was so perfect. Almost un-real; the concert, the romantic notions that were there, the kiss, the way he held me in his arms last night, everything.

I sat up straight, trying to regain my thoughts. I looked at the clock and it was time to get ready to go to school. Just then, my head snapped up at the smell of strawberry pancakes? Rosario does know how to cook.

I got up and pulled on my skinny jeans topped with a white t-shirt and bending over to put my black boots on. I made sure to grab my gray pea coat on the way out of my room. The smell grew stronger as I neared the bottom steps.

“Thanks Rosario, you didn’t have to, I could’ve got—“ I froze at the entrance of the kitchen. A shirtless Zayn stood before the stove holding a breakfast bar.

“Could’ve gotten a breakfast bar?” He finished my sentence, waving the bar in front of me and smiling like the big goof he was.

“You stayed.” I walked towards him and hugged him tightly around his waist, leaning my head against his bare chest.

“Why would I leave?” He kissed the top of my head. “I made you pancakes” I felt small circles on my back as he rubbed.

“Thank you” I kissed his lips and got a plate from the cabinet.  “Are you picking me up today?” I asked with my mouth full of his very delicious pancakes.

He nodded his head as he took out a glass and poured it with milk, the glass slid in front of me and I chugged it down in a hurry.

“You’re going to be late” Picking pieces of pancakes, he signaled to my book bag hanging

“I know!” I ran out the door and he followed on my heel, opening the door for me to get in.

“What are you doing after school today?” He asked turning the heater up.

I brought my hands up to work their magic on my hair and tied it in a ponytail. “I work, I get off at ten thirty, I think, if you want to do anything after that?” I looked at him waiting for an answer.

“Nah, I’ll let you sleep, I’ll pick you up from work though. I want to know how your first day goes”

“Cool.” The car stopped and I opened the door when suddenly his hand was on me. I looked at him confused.

“What? No goodbye kiss?” His lips began to tug themselves upward into a smile. I leaned in and kissed his lips softly before finally getting out of the car.

“Bay! Hold up!” I turned around as Zayn drove off; Ashley waved her hands above her head, hoping to catch my attention.

“What’s up?” I asked walking along with her to our classroom.

“Who was that?”

“Who was what?” I asked, nervous and not wanting to make eye contact with her.

“Oh, ok Bay. You know who. That guy in the car. I’m not stupid” She rolled her eyes.

“That’s no one. I don’t know yet. He’s uh, someone I met.”  I didn’t want to tell her everything. She didn’t need to know.

“Can I meet him?” She chirped, her eyes got wide.

“No, Ashley, No. I’m talking to him” I held onto my books tighter.