2. Fitting In

Australia 2013

Looking out over Albert Park from one of the stands Charlotte once again appreciated how lucky she had been to get this job.  She was sure that there had been many more applicants with far more experience than she had. Sebastian's comment about her being employed for other skills still pissed her off.  Did everyone else think that?  If they did, they hadn't said.  And she knew it wasn't true.  Christian had been a complete gentleman towards her.  

She raised the camera that was hanging around her neck and took a few shots of the sun going down over the park.  Tomorrow everything would kick off properly.  She hoped that Sebastian was in a good mood.  She really couldn't do with his little jibes.  Her temper flared up too quickly with him.  He really knew what buttons to push.  They'd clashed a few times back at the factory since she had started.  She'd never known such an infuriating man!  He was so full of himself.  I mean, would it actually hurt him to be nice to her every now and then?  He seemed to get on ok with everyone else, except for the odd occasion when he and Mark would clash. 

She made her way back to the paddock.  With a bit of luck she wouldn't see him again today.  He would probably have left the circuit by now, the press conference had long since finished.  She collected the rest of her equipment and made for the shuttle buses that were transporting team members back and forth between the track and their hotels.  One was just about to leave so she had to run, and just managed to jump on in time.  She sank down onto the nearest empty seat, putting her bags on the floor in front of her.

"That looks like a handful you have there," a voice piped up from behind her.  She looked round and found a handsome, blonde man wearing a Force India shirt. "The camera equipment I mean, not anything else," he blushed, trying his best not to look at her chest.  She laughed, something about this man was endearing.

"I knew what you meant."

"Anyway, pleased to meet you, I'm Joel.  I'm on Paul di Resta's crew.  And who may you be fair maiden?"

"I'm Charlotte, Red Bull team photographer."

"Pleased to meet you Charlotte. Can I call you Charlie? Or Lottie? New this season?"

"Lottie's fine. My friends all call me that. And yeah, is it that obvious?"  He gave her a cheeky grin, showing off the dimples in his cheeks.

"Well, the old Red Bull photographer was an old, balding guy so yeah."  Charlotte laughed.

"Yes, Brian retired, so here I am," she told the blonde.

"Welcome to the circus."

"Thank you. So have you been working in F1 for long?"

"This is my third year.  Started out at Red Bull myself as an intern.  They let me go though.  Shame, loved working for Seb.  It's great at Force India though."

"Great working for Sebastian? Can't say I'd noticed," she muttered.  Joel laughed again.

"He can be a bit awkward sometimes but he's a really nice guy."

"Let's agree to disagree."

"Ok, we'll  drop that subject. Are you enjoying it so far?"

"Loving it," she replied, and that was the truth. Apart from having to deal with the manchild Sebastian, it really was more than she'd imagined it would be. And it was only the first race weekend.

"That's good.  It's a bit manic sometimes, but there really is nothing that can compare."

"I can believe that.  It's kinda hard though, not knowing anyone."