wednesday - june 10th

-- calum

my eyes fly open, greeted by white ceiling tiles. the heart monitor next to me increases its tempo, my chest rising and falling sporadically, faster than when i was asleep.

through the pane of glass in the closed door, i see a black jacket and short wisps of blue hair. my lips pull into a smile. michael.

the door opens, but blueberry-head doesn't walk in. instead it's my boyfriend, with his dark hair and vibrant eyes.

he waves, his lips parting to speak.

"hi, calum!"

my eyes widen. then it hits me. i can hear my heartbeat on the machine. i can hear michael greeting me.

i grab his shirt and pull him to me, grinning more excitedly than i had in years. i touch my ears.

"y-you can... hear me?" he says, and the smoothness of his voice is calming, like ocean waves wafting over me.

i nod hurriedly.

"holy- oh my god, calum- i, it worked! the surgery worked!" he hugs me, tightly. i never want to let him go.

we're interrupted when the door opens again, allowing michael clifford to walk through. he has a bouquet of red roses in one hand, a box of chocolates in another.

"i uh- sorry, dude. i'll just leave these..."

diner boy nods, watches him leave. i feel a pang of sadness as the door closes. but then two lips find mine, and i'm happy.

---

i wake up again when my mother and mali come through the door, grinning at me. mali gives me a squeeze and a kiss on the cheek.

mom gives me a lecture.

"oh, my goodness, calum! you can hear me! this- this is amazing, baby, oh, my little boy... mali, look! he can hear us!"

"i know, mama. it's amazing."

mali rolls her eyes while mom isn't paying attention. i stifle a laugh. it feels good to have to do that.

"we're gonna have a party, alright? do you want chocolate cake or vanilla? oh, also, you're gonna have to take speech therapy again. michael can go, too!"

my heart races for a moment before i realize she means my boyfriend, not the tall guy with a stud in his brow.

i nod, unable to control the smile beaming on my face. i've never been happier, and i know lately i've been really happy, but this trumps all.

a/n:

k so i'm gonna finish this up before i deactivate, but not my other stories. would you guys want me to move it to my other account... or what?