All That is Gold Does Not Glitter

The city was luxurious--and blinding. Gold plated everything--the walkway, the steps, and even the trees that stood tall like guards before it.

Jewels of all colors dripped from the branches of the trees. They reminded her of the tiny wishing tree. Kalpavriksha. Aru's head pounded as she tried to remember. She'd made a wish, obviously...and then what? Her brain fogged and she slowed.

He's trying to undermine you, she thought.

It was working.

Aru balled a fist. She'd faced far worse than a tree. She would not be intimidated. She walked forward, head held high, refusing to look at the plants.

The fortress opened up before her. It looked more like a castle. Somewhere underneath all the splendor, though, Aru thought she could discern a message. A Lord of the Rings quote came to mind: All that is gold does not glitter.

What secret was hiding under all of those riches, then?

Aru ventured up to the doors, which silently slid open as soon as she set foot on the steps. As soon as she and the others were inside, the doors shut behind them.

Opals and other jewels were embedded in the circular floor in a dazzling display of wealth. As she walked forward they flashed and nearly blinded her. She wished she'd brought sunglasses.

Kubera sat on his throne, looking at each of them in turn. He was short but stocky. One of his eyes was covered with a patch. He wore a regal green and gold-trimmed tuxedo. Rings adorned his fingers.

Aru knelt and her friends did the same.

"I WAS EXPECTING YOU TO COME," he said. "YOU ARE ALL SO LOYAL TO THE DEVAS."

Aru winced. Beside her, her friends wore similar grimaces. Seriously, did this guy know what whispering was?

"You brought us here to discuss an offer," she prompted, bracing herself for his reply.

"I'M GETTING TO THAT, ARJUNA."

Aru flinched, and not just because she wanted to cover her ears. Every time she heard the name of her soul reincarnation, she felt another weight added to her shoulders. And yet that was who Kubera must have seen her as--not as her own person but as a reincarnation.

Kubera's smile was shrewd, like a shark deciding which victim to go after first. "YOU CANNOT DEFEAT THE SLEEPER'S ARMY WITHOUT MY HELP. YOU HAVE DELAYED HIM BUT YOU HAVE NOT STOPPED HIM. I HAVE WEAPONS YOU CAN USE...FOR A PRICE."

"What's your price?" Aru asked.

"PROVE YOURSELVES IN MY TRIALS. PROVE THAT YOU ARE PANDAVAS. FIRST, PROVE THAT YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO DEFEAT THE GREATEST ENEMY THERE IS."

Aru glanced back at her friends. Well? she said through the mind link.

I'm not sure, Mini replied. I suppose it's our best chance.

Brynne sighed. I don't like this, but I'll do it.

Aru gave them a discreet thumbs up and looked at the boys.

Rudy set his chin in a posture she recognized: determination.

Aiden looked uneasy but he nodded.

Aru faced the ruler of Lanka. "Okay. We'll do it. What now?"

"THAT'S EASY. TRY TO STAY ALIVE."

Kubera waved a hand and the throne and he--and the walls of the palace--faded around them.