Chapter 1: The Test

Peril's POV

I walked up the steps of the Wings Of Fire League building, pausing at the doors. I was never allowed to go into a public place before ever since I got cursed. I looked down at my hands and watched cautiously as a little ball of fire enveloped my hand. It didn't sting me, which I found very interesting. I stopped the fire and faced the Wings Of Fire League building. Just as I was about to walk up, I heard feared whispers. I whipped my head in the direction of the whispers and saw a small girl with a boy. 

The girl had mud-brown hair and warm brown eyes. She was a small and timid thing. The boy next to her looked almost exactly like her. Except he was a little bigger. I stared into their eyes and frowned. They ran up the stairs and into the building as I watched them. I followed them into the building and when I opened the door, I was greeted by a very...cheery girl. 

"Hi!" The girl said, beaming. I looked her up and down and frowned again. She had sandy yellow hair and green eyes. I have never seen a human at all. "I'm Sunny, what's your name?" the cheery girl asked. Figures. 

"I'm Peril," I answered, looking at the floor. 

"Nice to meet you Peril," Sunny said. "Take the first part of the test and when you hear your name stand up and walk through those doors. Okay?" Sunny beamed. I nodded, not understanding a thing. Sunny handed me a test in a clipboard. I hesitated before I took it and sat down, making sure not to touch her skin. 

I sat down on the floor like a "proper lady" as Osprey would say. I looked at the form and almost laughed. I'm not sure what the Queen was thinking, a monster like me would never be able to get into a superhero league like this. I don't care that her daughter was in the Justice League! But by the look of this test...I won't be able to get an interview. Just answer the dang questions, I thought. What would Scarlet think of this? No. No. You are your own person. ou choose what you want to do. 

Welcome to the Wings Of Fire League! I hope you enjoy your time here and while you're waiting, please fill out this form. The Cafeteria is next to the interview room. I snickered and smiled fondly at the last sentence. Whoever wrote that is a goofball and guessing by the handwriting, it's a boy. 

What is your name? Write your name on the underline. Yeah, I think I know how to read. 

__Peril Skye__ 

What is your race? Why do these humans want to know what race I am? 

__Amazonian__

How old are you? That's not creepy at all. 

__2,000__

Have you committed a crime? And if so, what was it? I scoffed. I'm pretty sure everyone at least stole something when they were little. 

__Murder__ Should I write that it was an accident? It was. Yeah, I probably should. I erased what I wrote and wrote __Accidental Murder__

Lastly, do you have powers? If so, what are they?  I stared at that question in fear. If I say yes...then...it would be official that I had powers. Remember, you have to answer truthfully. 

__Yes. The Gift of Hades, Fire__

I stood up and handed Sunny the form. Before I could see her reaction to the fourth question, I turned around and leaned against the wall. I laid my head on the wall and closed my eyes. 

FlashBack

"Lillian!" I cried leaning over the edge. The beautiful Amazonian was dangling from steep rocks, her brown eyes full of fear. "Hold on! I'm coming to help!" I called. I laid down on the soft and squishy grass, extending my arm so Lillian could grab it. 

"Peril, you're too far!" Lillian sobbed. 

"I'm coming closer then!" I yelled. 

"No!" Lillian called. I looked down at her with tears in my blue eyes. "No." she sighed. Lillian looked down and saw the jagged rocks. "Go back to the rest. They need your help," she whispered. I ignored her sentence and started climbing down. "Peril! Listen. If I die, it will die with honor and right now, I can't distract you because if I do then you can't fight for our home,"  Lillian said, tears in her eyes. 

"No. No, you can't leave me! If you do Scarlet...she'll do bad things with me. I'm her pet. My powers...they're uncontrollable. If you die I don't know what will happen," I sobbed. 

"You'll fight. You'll use your powers for good. For our home," Lillian growled, her eyes looking into mine seriously. She then looked at the water with no fear...and jumped off. 

"LILLIAN!" I screamed. 

Present 

"Peril Skye?" Sunny called. I jerked off the wall, not wanting to think about that...that day. "Follow me," she said. I nodded and followed her into the interview room. When I walked in, I was in front of four more people. But some of them weren't humans. Some of them were...different races. I looked at the girl in the middle who had wild brown hair and dark blue eyes. Hmm, Atlantean. I turned to the man on her left. He had black glasses and pitch-black hair, and green eyes.  Definitely a human. I looked at the Atlantean's right and saw a girl. She had green hair that faded into blue and gorgeous green eyes. Maybe she's a shifter? My I looked at the boy sitting next to the beautiful girl and my heart stopped. 

He warm brown eyes and strong arms. His hair was dark brown and kind of matched his skin. MY eyes never left his. I felt safe in his gaze. What type of person is he? Suddenly, the Atlantean cleared her throat and I whipped my head in her direction. 

"State your name please," The Atlantean hissed. 

"Tsunami! Be nicer! Can't you see that she's in defense mode?" Sunny sighed.  

"I'm just asking for her name," Tsunami frowned. 

"Uh, Tsunami, I think Sunny is trying to-"

"Peril Skye," I answered, cutting off the human. 

"Peril?" The shifter clarified. 

"Yes. Peril. Like dangerous. Because I am," I snapped. The room went quiet as Sunny passed my form to everyone. Tsunami gasped when she saw the fourth answer. She handed it to the human and he adjusted his glasses. 

"Glory?" he asked the beautiful girl. She took it out of his hands and furrowed her eyebrows. Her eyes turned dark orange. Wow. Yup, definitely a shifter. Glory handed the handsome boy the form, his eyes widened and he placed the form on the table. 

He stood up and started walking over to me. "Clay? What are you doing?" Tsunami hissed. "That girl is a murderer!" Tsunami whispered. 

Clay stood in front of me, causing me to shake. I didn't know where this sudden feeling of needing to be perfect came from. Maybe it was the way his eyes looked into mine like he was searching for something. I stood straighter and stared into his eyes not so confidently.  "How did you accidentally kill someone?" Clay asked in a hushed voice so that no one could hear. 

"Uh...I was...trying to save a friend of mine..." I whispered tears in my eyes. "I didn't mean to kill her. I...but...I was raised to kill. I didn't know better. I was only 122," I cried quietly. Clay took out his hand and took my hand in his. "W-What are you doing?" I hissed. 

"Giving a handshake," he answered. 

"What? Are you out of your mind?!" I yelped. Jumping away from him. "You need to go see a nurse, the burn you're going to have is going to be really bad..." I whispered. 

"Burn?" Clay asked. 

"Because...you touched me," I said. Clay looked at his hand and raised it up to me. "How is that possible?" I gasped. I looked at my hands again then looked back at the group. "Uh...sorry. Um, I-I don't know i-if I can do this. I-I I'm not good enough...bye," I said, zooming out of the room.