xx. pride and prejudice

CHAPTER TWENTY

[ pride and prejudice ]

DEAREST ELIZABETH,

We're going on a quest, and unfortunately I cannot tell you what it is... But Mr Darcy, Mr Bingley and I will not be back until we're done. Take care of the school for us, make sure that Mr. Whickam doesn't cause to much damage. And be strong Eliza, not only for the sake of you, but your family and friends and your girlfriend. I love you, we all do, and if we do not come back... Then take care of my cat and make sure my parents are living their best life. Tell Bingley's mother and family that he loves them. Tell Darcy's caretakers to respectfully mind their own business if they ask anything.

I trust you'll burn this letter immediately after you receive and read it.

YOURS SINCERELY,
JANE BENNET - BINGLEY

ARIELLE BLINKED AS she stared at the letter, replaying it over and over in her head. It seemed that it was addressed to her, since she vividly recalled raving about how she wanted to be just as gorgeous and witty as Elizabeth Bennet herself. But the real question is, who could have sent the letter?

Mr Wickham obviously stood for Snape, since they were both villains in their respective lives, but it seemed like a bit more confusing to uncover the rest.

But then it hit her.

Hermione was the one writing the letter, since they had confessed that their love for each other was equivalent to that of a sisterly bond, and Jane and Elizabeth were sisters. Now Jane was married to Mr. Bingley, and that would've been Ronald — since Hermione had fancied him ever since their fifth year. Mr Darcy was Harry, it only made sense.

But then the contents of the letter began to shake her, clouding her judgement like thick, black fog, causing her to overthink every single decision that she had made in their life.

They had gone.

They had left her in that cold dark school and fled, was the impact of her defending Draco still embedded in their minds? She could help them, she had the brains and she had the quick wit. Perhaps it was a matter of great urgency, it had to be.

There was no other reason why they couldn't have asked her to come with them.

She had to calm down, there was no other way she could get through this by herself. Her dorm was completely empty — Cho had gone off to meet her muggle boyfriend and Luna was in the library studying. She didn't want to disturb Rohan, he was probably laughing around with Draco and making silly jokes like he always did.

She didn't want to be the one to erase that same smile from his lips.

Her head clogged up, feeling her cheeks go cold with soft tears dripping down them, her breath getting stuck in her chest.

No no no.

She couldn't be freezing up, not again. Her panic attacks frustrated her so damn much, they were always at the wrong time, the pangs in her stomach expanding every single second as she couldn't control the amount of tears spilling from her eyes.

Count, Elle, Count, she told herself, her head throbbing while she covered herself in the warmth of her thick blankets.

10... 9... 8

Her mind felt like it was being surveyed and searched, exposed with all its vulnerability to the real world, her mouth letting out a soft sob.

7... 6... 5

She had to breathe.

In and out. In and out. They weren't gone forever, they couldn't be. This quest was only for Harry's well being, but she couldn't help but feel so worried for them. What if they died? That would leave her alone. What if they —

No. She couldn't. They are going to be fine, Elle convinced herself, a whimper leaving her lips. They were going to be fine. They were the strongest people she knew.

4... 3... 2...

They're fine. They're fine. They're fine. They're fine, chanted Elle, finally feeling her senses calming down. She gripped at the edges of her bed and sobbed, the panic attack had passed, leaving her with her tears.

1...

She was okay.

Elle took out her wand and murmured the words, "Incendia."

The piece of paper was inflamed, burning in delicate rhythms, the hungry sparks consuming it entirely.

And then the letter was gone.

━━━━━━ ⋆ ✧ ━━━━━━

THE DOOR CREAKED open about an hour later, revealing a dimpling Cho and a giggling Luna, softly chattering about their eventful evenings to each other. Those melodious chuckles, however, halted when they saw a red eyed Elle hyperventilating on the bed, her body shaking thunderously in front of stormy grey ashes.

Luna was distraught, running straight towards her sister and embracing her tightly, shivering at how cold her skin was to touch, "Elle, what's wrong? What happened?"

"I can't tell you," Elle sobbed in her sister's arms, "I wish I could but I – I can't."

Cho wrapped her arms around the two girls, joining in on the hug, "We love you so much Elle. We're always going to be here for you. Wait, I'm calling Rohan."

Cho barged out the door, returning two minutes later with Rohan, the four of them wrapped up in a big hug. "Ella, say something please. You're scaring us," Rohan whispered soothingly while rubbing her back softly.

"I — I can't anymore," Elle breathed out, "I'm so scared for them, I'm so scared."

"Shsh..." Luna mumbled in her arms, "You can tell us when you feel better. But the number one priority is you."

"Let's cheer you up? We can play some music and have a nice soothing time?" Cho asked gently, Elle nodding, "That sounds great."

"Okay," Cho muttered, holding Elle even tighter.

Elle knew she had a support system, and she did not know where she would be without them.

━━━━━━ ⋆ ✧ ━━━━━━

ARIA SPEAKS . 🕯°
aria stop hurting elle challenge!!
side note — if you've read pride
and prejudice pls marry me

this is a double update once
again so keep scrolling my lovelies <3