Chapter One

~•~•~•~•~•~Chapter One•~•~•~•~•~•

I walked around the school with Alice, headphones in blasting music and blocking out everybody's negativity as it was first day back at school. I just wore a denim skirt, a red singlet with a black jumper and had my hair long blonde hair up in a cute bun, which got me a couple of glances from some cute new guys.
"Jasmine!" I heard Alice calling me.
"Oh, sorry, yeah?"
"The bell rang, we got to go the auditorium" She said with a sigh. I drank the rest of my coffee and thee it in the bin as we slowly made our way to the auditorium. We sat on the chairs where we were joined by Chris, Alice's boyfriend. We knew Chris since we were in Grade 5 but they only started dating three months ago, yet you could tell they were perfect for each other. More students slowly dragged themselves in and sat down, grumbling as they did so, but who could blame them? This place was depressing, luckily it was Alice, Chris's and I last year. There were only two new grade 12's and the rest were still here from last year. The teachers finally made their way in looking just as tired and angry as the students. I turned my phone off and sighed as I looked up when the principle began her depressing speech which was drowned out by groans of the students.
"Jasmine" Alice giggled, leaning in close to me.
"What?"
"Look! That new teacher has been staring at you for ages." She whispered, pointing to a tall man with jet black short, shaggy hair in a suit who sat with the other teachers. I couldn't help but stare back. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips, making me blush and look away. Alice looked at me and raised her eyebrows in a suggestive way, which made me giggle. Some of the teachers got up and handed us our timetables, before sending us to our classes.

Period 1: English Ms Rook
Period 2: Science Mr Matt
Period 3: Hospitlaity Mrs Megan
Period 4: Business Ms Heincliffe
Period 5: Math Mr Braxton

I didn't realise the name Mr Braxton, he was the only new name on my timetable, part of me hoped it was that cute new teacher. I shook the thought from my head and walked to English. I plopped myself down in the chair next to Alice with a humph as I took the books from bag and began to copy off the board. The class went quite quickly as the parade at the auditorium took up quite a bit of time. After science Alice, Chris and I made our way to some benches near the carpark.
"I kinda missed school on the holidays, and then I came back." Chris laughed, his arm around Alice's shoulder.
"It's not that bad, once we get used to waking up early again" I smiled, poking the chicken and rice I got from to cafeteria that looked undercooked. "But by the time we get used to waking up early it will be holidays again"
"True that" Alice sighed. We continued chatting until the bell rang when we all went our separate ways for elective classes. I sat in hospitality, with my head on the desk, throughout both business and hospitality I made small talk with some friends I met from the previous year, occasionally laughing and getting a glare from the teachers.

I made my way back to the spot where we usually sit where I found Alice and Chris kissing. I felt like a third wheel, but they are my best friends and I wouldn't rather hang out with anyone else as very few people get my sense of humour.

"So how were your classes?" Alice asked me when she saw me approaching.

"Alright, yours?" I asked back.

"Good, do you know who Mr Braxton?"

"Not a clue, I guess we'll find out soon."

"Maybe it's that teacher that was checking you out" Alice laughed.

"Whatever" Is all I could say back as I couldn't think of a witty reply.

"Even I saw that, he wasn't trying to hide it" Chris told me, making me roll my eyes. After chatting for almost half an hour, I had to go to the toilet.

"I gotta go to the toilet, I'll meet you guys at class" I said, getting up and slinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Ok, see ya" Alice and Chris said unisoin.

I checked myself in the mirror and headed out the toilet door just as the bell rang, when I heard my phone chime.

"I'll be working late, money is on the table for take away, love you!
-Mum"

My mother was a nurse for the local hospital and she was often kept late, my Father was a doctor who was currently working overseas, in worn torn areas. I had just replied when I heard a strong, male voice.

"Excuse me, Miss?" I turned around to see the hot new teacher walking towards me. "Can you tell me where this class is? Sorry, I'm a little lost, this school is just so big!" He laughed handing me his teachers timetable.

"Yer, uh, you're the math teacher, Mr Braxton?" I stuttered.

"Yes, I am." He laughed.

"You're teaching my class." I replied, quietly, looking down as I handed the timetable back to him.

"Fantastic, show me the way" He said following me to the class, which was on the other side of the school.

"So." He began, trying to make conversation "What's your name?"

"Jasmine" I smiled, stealing a quick glance of him before we entered the classroom full of waiting students.

"Thanks" He said as I walked toward Alice and Chris.

"Where did you two sneak off to?" Chris laughed.

"Nowhere, he just asked me for directions."

"Yer, to your house!" Alice joked.

Half an hour had passed and I was having a little trouble understanding Pythagoras Theorem.

"Alice, do you get this?" I whispered to her.

"Yer, why? Do you need help?" She asked.

"That would be awesome." But before I could finish my sentence Alice raised her hand and called over Mr Braxton.

"Sir, Jasmine needs help." She said before mouthing your welcome.

"Ok, so what's wrong, Jasmine?" He asked, leaning over my shoulder, his breath tickling my neck.

"Uh, nothing, Sir. I get it." I lied.

"Ok." He said giving a slight chuckle and walking off, back to his desk. The class passed rather quickly and before I knew it the bell sounded to go home. I grabbed my bag and sling it over my shoulder then bolted for the door, excited to go home and relax, when Mr Braxton stopped me.

"Jasmine?"

"Yes, Sir?" I asked.

"I just wanted to thank you for helping me find my class and if you ever need any help on the work, don't be afraid to tell me." He said smiling from his desk.

"Ok, thanks, Sir" I smiled back and walked out the door towards the car park. After stopping at MacDonald's for a coffee, I drove straight home and pulled into the driveway. I unlocked the door and walked upstairs to my bedroom and threw my bag on the bed. My original plan was to sleep but that coffee had really woken me up so I decided to go for a jog. I changed into my black sports bra, and purple tights before heading out again. I stood on the driveway contemplating which way to go, I decided to go towards the suburbs, where all new houses were being built. After half an hour, I got tired and decided to head back when I heard footsteps following me, I looked back and saw Mr Braxton in a singlet and basketball shorts.

"Hi, Jasmine" He greeted, jogging alongside me. "I've been trying to catch up with your for a couple of minutes, you run so fast"

"Sorry, I didn't realise you were there." I said stopping to catch my breath. "So you love around here?"

"Yep, just over there" He said, pointing to a huge two story house. "What about you?"

"Just up the road. Well, I'm going to head back, I'll see you tomorrow, Sir."

"Alright. Oh, and, when we are out of school, call me Marcus"

"Ok, uh, bye" I just managed to stutter out. As I ran, all I could think about was bumping into him. I sighed and pushed the thoughts aside, as I entered the house and drew a bath, before going to bed really early.