Chapter 4

"Vanya, did you bring your pills with you?" Five asked during breakfast. He was stuffing a doughnut in his mouth while scribbling in a notebook. "No, don't you remember? We didn't bring anything with us," Vanya said as she ate a canned tuna. They were running out of food and it was making them irritated by the second. "How do you feel?" Five asked looking up from his notebook. "Did you collect the rainwater?" Vanya asked, ignoring the question. "There was too much rain and the bucket overflowed. You didn't answer my question." Five replied. "Well, how do you think I feel?" Vanya asked. A gust of wind blew around them and Five tried to keep the food from splattering everywhere.

"I don't know, tired, depressed or something? They're like antidepressants right?" Five said still trying to keep the food from falling on the ground. The wind had been really strong the whole week and it was a miracle the house didn't collapse.

"I feel different,energised like I can do anything," Vanya said. Vanya's eyes gleamed. Five thought it was the sunlight but her eyes were changing colour from chocolatey brown to icy white. Her skin turned pale and Vanya rose up, her head almost hitting the corrugated iron roof. "Vanya?" Five called. Bursts of energy surrounded her causing the wind to increase its intensity. Five tried to pull her back down but the current of the energy was too strong pushing him backwards. The birds which had been cawing morning and night before seemed to have stop. The silence was deafening but Vanya showed no signs of stopping. The energy current was so strong that the chipped glasses shattered. Five was forced to sit outside of the hut to prevent himself from getting hurt.

An hour later, the birds started cawing again louder than before. Five peered into the hut and saw that Vanya was now on the ground unconscious. He blinked in and looked at her. Her eyes were brown again and her skin was a healthier colour. He tried to lift her up dragging her as he did so and put her on one of the sleeping rugs.

Five lay down next to her hoping that she would wake up.