Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I am definitely not looking forward to today's training. Today just means another day of beating innocent people senseless. Today means I'll have to cross paths with Eric again. Today means that I'll have to watch Tris, small, fragile Tris, fight against whichever opponent Eric has lined up for her.

Eric gets to pick the pairings for 'round 2' as he calls it. It's like he thinks this is some sort of game. But it's not! These are people's lives! I wish I was a leader, a leader that had authority over Eric. I would give him what he deserves... wait a second, I have never, ever desired to be a Dauntless leader, but in this case, I could be the one thing standing between life and death for Tris. Instead I have to stand and watch.

I don't think I can though. But I have to. I have to or else Eric will be suspicious. He'll see her as a weakness to me and it won't end well. I have be careful for her sake...and for mine, because what would I do if she wasn't here anymore and it was all my fault? I shudder and rid my mind of the thought. Maybe it won't be so bad,I tell myself with mock enthusiasm. Maybe she'll be paired with Myra.But I know Eric would never do that. Where would the fun be in that sort of pairing?

I walk over to the training room early. I have to meet Eric there. I already know what's going to happen. He's going to make some snide comments about me and then we're going to go over his pairings.

I walk into the room and spot him standing by the chalkboard. He doesn't seem to notice me so I walk up to him.

"Eric," I say firmly. He jumps a little at the sound and I chortle a little at the expression on his face.

"Well hello Four, it's great to see you so early in the morning. Now, write the pairings on the chalkboard." he commands me. It's obvious that he's just flaunting the fact that he can tell me what to do and I can't object. Whatever, I'm not going to make a big deal about it.

I sigh and turn to the chalkboard to start writing names. I stop in front of each name, waiting for Eric to tell me who he has picked to fight together. When he announces who will be fighting Tris, my heart sinks. No! This can't be happening. Out of everyone he could have chosen, he picks Peter! What am I going to do? I have to stop ths, but I can't. Then Eric would really suspect something. No, as much as I hate it, I have to standby and watch her fight him. In the end the pairings come out to be:

Edward-Molly

Peter-...Tris

Drew-Al

Christina-Will

Myra-

I have to wait about thirty minutes until the initiates start filling into the training room. Almost everyone is here except for a couple of people. Usually I don't care that much about the initiates, but she's made me eager. I know that the only reason I'm paying such close attention is because of her. And the sad part? She probably doesn't care about me at all. And she has no reason to! I don't even know why I'm so interested in her! It's just that everything she does is so interesting or endearing or brave or different... different, that is a dangerous thing. If I notice that she's different, who else will? But it doens't matter because she couldn't possibly be...Divergent.

My mind suddenly goes blank when I notice her walking in. She's talking mid-sentence to Al. Something flows threw y body. An emotion that I've never experienced before. And it's directed toward Al. Jealousy. I'm jealous that he can stand less than a foot away from her and carry on meaningless conversations with her without putting her at risk of something awful. But now I'm staring at her and I have to stop or else Eric will surely notice.

I continue to gaze at her, but from the corner of my eye. She turns her head to the chalkboard, glances at the pairings and freezes when she spots her name. I sigh. I was expecting this type of reaction out of her. Christina walks, more like limps, up behind her. I can just make out their conversation, if I listen hard enough.