Chapter 10

Maya stiffened her back, allowing her backpack to shrug onto her shoulders as she carefully walked into the large red doors that led inside her school. She jumped over the steps, her sneakers quietly patting against the soft, midnight-black rug that was laid on top of the golden-specked tile floor.

As she entered the gym, excited whispers started when they saw her. The classmates that Maya hadn't seen in such a long time rushed over to her, starting conversation.

"Maya, you're back! How are you? Are you alright?" Isabel greeted joyfully while letting her palm rest on Maya's shoulder to show her compassion.

"Yeah, thanks for asking," she replied, her hair swinging to cover her face, nervous Isabel's concerned eyes would show her guilt for lying and cause her to spill.

Lyla's voice perked up. "Hey, are you alright, Maya?" She gushed, her intense chocolate-like eyes staring at Maya.

"Yeah I'm fine," Maya mumbled under her breath, knowing fully well that Lyla couldn't hear her. She was tired and annoyed of everyone asking the same old questions.

"What-" Lyla started, but was interrupted by a passing friend Maya didn't recognize. As Lyla's attention focused on her friend and left with her, Maya breathed a sigh of relief, grateful to have escaped Lyla's repetitive interrogation.

However, Annie spotted her, allowing Maya no time to escape. "Mayaaaaa!" she yelled, yanking on Havah's jacket sleeve and nearly dragging her over to Nolan's ex-girlfriend.

"Oh my gosh! How are you! I'm so glad you're okay!" Havah exclaimed, her arms opening in a circular fashion, creating space for her body and Maya stepped into it, enveloping Havah in a hug.

"What happened? I never really heard how you got into the coma," Annie asked, joining their hug. Maya broke their connection, "I only knew you got into coma," Annie continued sheepishly.

"I was walking with-" Maya's mind cut her mouth off from speaking, not wanting to say his name. She took in a sharp breath, exhaling drowsily.

"Who? What's wrong?" Havah responded, staring intently at her with wide opened, curious deep ocean-blue eyes.

"Oh, sorry," Maya chuckled emotionlessly. "I was walking with my mom, and I moved aside to tie my shoelace, and a truck hit me," she lied, every word squeezing themselves from her teeth.

As Annie's creamy brown eyes searched through Maya's hazel ones, Maya felt her hands began to vibrate nervously and she licked her suddenly dry lips as beads of sweat began dripping down her forehead. She stood completely still, embarrassed that perhaps they could hear her rapidly beating heart from lying to her two best friends for the first time.

Maya allowed their eyes to connect for roughly ten seconds, seeming as if Annie's eyes could see into her and her lie, before abruptly turning her head to the side and running in the opposite direction she had been facing.

As she sprinted away, her Converse sneakers slapping against the hard, waxed ground, Havah looked at Annie.

"Do you think she's okay?" Annie questioned, wondering what was with Maya's actions.

Havah shrugged, "I guess, I think she's just getting used to coming to school after being in a coma. It must be hard."

"We should do something for her!" Annie said, clapping her hands together in excitement.

Havah's right eyebrow was lifted up when she inquired, "Like what?"

Annie pressed her lips together, her eyes grew foggy as she stared into space, while Havah fiddled with her feet, pointing and flexing them as she contemplated an idea to propose.