the funeral

"You ready?" Korra asked, cautiously walking into the bathroom to greet her girlfriend. "You feel alright?"

Asami had been preparing for this since the moment she had accepted what happened to her father. But now that it was here she didn't think she could truly prepare herself to walk into her father's funeral. Korra kissed her the crook of her jaw, unintentionally reminding the CEO that she had asked a question.

"Yeah. I'll be okay." She nodded

"I asked Tenzin to give us a ride on Oogi, that way you don't have to drive, or deal with any stray paparazzi."

"Thank you." She said, letting Korra pull her in for another kiss, she sighed feeling Korra's weight on top of her and melting into the bed.

It felt good to relax a little before what she knew was going to be an emotional day for her. Tenzin had helped her plan the funeral, a small service on Air Temple Island, consisting only of her closest friends and family.

"Can I stay the night at the island?" the CEO asked, partly embarrassed due to how desperate she must have sounded.

She just didn't want to be alone.

"Of course, you know you can spend the night whenever you want." Korra reminded her.  "I'm gonna go downstairs and make some breakfast. You come down whenever you're ready."

Asami let out a long labored sigh, she was determined to make it through the day without crying. Just like she was when Korra took her home the night after the battle, things didn't always go to plan. It seemed like nothing was going her way; her hair wasn't cooperating, making the way she usually styled it look weird. Her shaky hands caused her to mess up her makeup more than a couple times.
On top of all of that she ended up getting tooth past on the nice blouse she was supposed to wear.

As her usual morning routine went on it seemed like every little thing ticked her off. After forty-five minutes or so she called it good enough and trudged downstairs. The Waterbender greeted her with a soft smile, a plate of food, and coffee made just the way Asami liked it.

"Thanks." she said, her voice was hoarse. It had been all morning, but more so now.

She tried not to acknowledge the fact that she knew Korra was staring at her while she ate, or grabbed the morning crossword, or got up to get a napkin. But after a couple minutes it started to get weird. Especially whenever she made eye contact and Korra would look away as if nothing happened.

"Korra, what are you doing?" Asami said, setting her fork down.

"I'm worried about you, you seem upset."

"It's my dad's funeral. What do you expect."

There was a long pause, the CEO knew that wasn't an appropriate response. She wasn't even annoyed with Korra. "Sorry.", she mumbled looking down at the ground.

"It's okay." Korra assured, moving closer, from where she sat on the couch.

Moving both their plates onto the coffee table and grabbing Asami's hands. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

Before she even realized what happened Korra was holding her, both of them laid back against the couch. Asami was throwing out jumbled thoughts she had about herself and her father over the past months, past years even. And Korra listened, listened until Asami couldn't talk anymore, until she didn't want to. Even then Korra listened to the sound of her breathing. Occasionally whispering sweet things into her ear and wiping her tears away.

"I miss him. So much. It didn't even feel all that real until this morning."

Tears were steadily flowing and Korra had already grabbed the box of tissues and handed it to her. "I know baby. I know." she mumbled.