Chapter Seventy: The Beginning

Marcus gasped in shock. The leader of the Order of the Blossom was their enemy?!

Mulberry looked to him, searching his face for an explanation, but could find none. She had been lead to believe, by Marcus, by Petro, by everyone, that this Order was loyal to the Emperor, and served the empire. She might not think much of the empire herself, given her position, but surely no empire could survive by having its citizens mistreated and kidnapped. This made no sense, except insofar as it explained Salix's apparent betrayal.

Enjoying their discomfort, Cicuta continued, "It surprises you, what I am doing? It should not. I am protecting the empire. That is my main obligation. To protect the empire and its people, even from the foolishness of the Emperor himself. And this child will aid me in that."

"She's just a kid. Don't hurt her," Marcus begged, earning himself another slap.

"Now, now, soldier. I thought they trained you people! You should know to remain silent in the presence of your seniors and betters, unless, of course," the woman smiled darkly, "I have cause to ask you a direct question."

Marcus stared, stony-faced, at the cobbles beneath his feet. He could see the occasional tear fall where Mulberry was standing, darkening the stone at her feet. He wondered what she might be thinking. He had promised that, slave or not, she would be safe with him. It made his stmache ache to think that he had not been able to keep that promise. He had certainly meant to.

The woman laughed again. "The child will be useful to me and to our Order. You must have noticed, in all that time, that she had certain . . . abilities? Tell me, did you have precognitive dreams? See odd sights, like rare butterflies, perhaps?"

Marcus continued tostare steadfastly at the floor.

"You have finally learned the value of silence, soldier? Hm. Ah well, no matter. Because, you see, I have what I want. Flora Salix?"

"Yes, Mistress Cicuta?"

"Take the child to the temple, and have her set in the seat of reckoning. I shall return shortly. But first," she smiled darkly at the man and woman standing bound before her, "I think I must have these two killed."

Mulberry gasped, and Salix's eyes grew wide.

"But Mistress Cicuta?!"

"What is it, Flora Salix?" Cicuta asked, her tone weary.

"You promised me that no one would be hurt! If I followed your orders, everyone would be alright! Besides, none of this is Marcus’ fault, or Mulberry’s! It was just chance that Marcus Marius came upon the baby!"

"Chance? Bah, believe that if you wish, Flora Salix. Your little soldier's older brother was poking around in my affairs as well. How could this one not know? And I will keep my promise. No one will be hurt; their deaths will be painless."

Salix glared at the tall woman, and did not move.

"I ordered you to go, Flora Salix. Need I remind you? Their treachery killed your fiancé. They deserve nothing more than death."

Salix's glare darkened. She knew Cicuta was lying, clutching at straws."They had nothing to do with that! I don't know who killed Vitus, or why, but it wasn't Marcus or Mulberry!"

"As I said, believe what you wish," Cicuta shrugged, "Now go, before I have to order you killed as well."

Salix carefully shifted Aurelia's weight, so that the baby was supported on Salix's hip and with her left arm. She reached with her right hand to draw her sword.

"I won't let you hurt them," Salix said.

In an instant, before she was able to draw the sword completely, the man who had been carrying the baby had reacted. Before Salix knew what was happening, he had drawn his own sword, laying it across Salix's throat. His free hand pushed down on her left shoulder. The grip was heavy enough that Salix couldn't turn to escape from the sword without dropping Aurelia.

The sudden movement woke the child. For a moment she looked around, her blue eyes big and wide in surprise. Then she reached out for Mulberry, her expression hopeful.

Mulberry burst into tears, sagging against the men who held her arms. One of them grunted in annoyance, clearly bothered by the sudden weight she had put on them, and he hauled her, one-sided, back up into a standing position.

Aurelia imitated Mulberry's reaction, screaming and crying and kicking. Cicuta frowned, and walked over to where Salix stood. She tore the baby out of Salix's arms, forcing the fighting child to her chest, ignoring Aurelia's angry screams.

Cicuta turned and faced them all, and with a little sigh, said, "I am, of course, very disappointed, Aemilia. But no matter, I will deal with the child myself."

Turning to the men, she added, "Now, kill all three of them."