- Hi, I'm Kumiko -

I hear a familiar, but unfamiliar tune.

It sounding like a girl singing, but it sounds like...a recording? Maybe from a video game?

That's when I heard the familiar but unfamiliar voice.

"Hi, I'm Kumiko, and I hope we can get along nicely."

That's it. Her name was Kumiko. 

Kumiko.

Slowly waking up, I hear music.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you~"

I turn over and see my older siblings with a black plastic tray containing breakfast, as well as a cupcake with a singular candle on it. I rub the eye boogers away and sit upwards, still sleepy. They finally finish the song, setting the tray next to me, on my bed. They then began to clap, along with extended, 'whoo's.' 

I stretch my arms, still tired. I tried to think about the dream I just had, but failed, for my brain was interrupted by celebration. I let out a yawn, eyeing both of them. "Don't give me that look," the oldest one, Nigel barks. "Shut up, Bill Nye the science guy," I retort back. He deadpans me. And in just a blink, I was getting my hair grabbed at.

"Okay, okay! Calm down, calm down!" My sister Tamarind shouts. "He started it!" Nigel exclaims. She sighs, "Why are you picking a fight with a twelve year-old, Nie?" I correct her, "It's thirteen, now..." She shoot darts at me, which I take it as my sign to back off. 

Tamarind clasps her hands together, "Well, birthday boy! Me and Nigel made you breakfast. We hope you enjoy, Liam!" Tammy waves her hand, indicating, 'goodbye,' as they both exit the room. Nigel then pokes his head back in for a second, telling me, "We'll bring you your presents after breakfast."

Speaking of which— I look down. On the plate, there were pancakes, turkey bacon, and cheesy scrambled eggs. My mouth watered. Tammy and Nie are two of the BEST cooks I know. This may be an exaggeration, but they could definitely win a round or two of Master Chef. I dug into my food like the pig that I am. My stomach started to hurt from the speeded eating. I wanted to finish the rest, but I was in too much pain. I let out a groan. 

I was about to call one of them for help, until I noticed a shot cup filled with a familiar substance. It took me awhile, but eventually I figured out what it was. 

Pepto-Bismol. 

I let out a shudder as the horrid taste hits my tongue. They predicted I would get a stomachache. I couldn't do anything but let out a sigh. I then proceed to set the tray onto my beside table and get ready for the day. 

Looking through the closet for a few minutes, I eventually settle on a pair of black sports shorts and a tie dye shirt. I take a shower, throw them on, and head into the living room where Tammy and Nie were. 

"Hey there," they both greeted me. Tammy teased, "Are you ready for your presents, birthday boooy?~" I just scoffed in return. She ruffles my dark coffee and leads me into the backyard. "Don't tell me this is a 'surprise birthday party,'" I murmured to myself, "It's not like I'm eight years old..." 

"Oh, shut it with your muttering! Now, here we go!" She releases me. I look up to see bright confetti strings hanging from the tree in the yard, and wrapped up gift boxes underneath. Nigel steps over to where the tree is, making a 'come on' hand gesture. I walk over next to him, looking down at the gifts. 

There were so many.

Some were small, some were big, some were wide, and some were tall. "We have our connections," Tammy beings to brag, but Nigel told her to 'shut up' before she continued. She whacked him on the head in response. I mostly ignored them the whole time, my eyes fixated on one gift in particular. It was medium sized, and was covered in golden wrapping paper with a white ribbon on top. I bend down to pick it up while the two bickered.