CHAPTER FIFTEEN -- 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞

the spirits onher sideততততত

the spirits on
her side
ততততত

          Hika is amazed by how gorgeous the Northern Air Temple is. No, it's more than gorgeous, saying such a word is like telling a girl she's hot instead of saying she's beautiful. She feels like she's doing an injustice to the Temple just by walking around it like how she'd walk around her own home.

Except at her home, she doesn't marvel at the beautiful designs in the walls matched with a touch of green details worked in with the intricate architecture. Towers practically float on the mountainside, connected by bridges and what few patches of solid land Hika can find. Part of it made her stomach churn, the idea of how high up they were, but if airbenders could live here hundreds of years ago-- spirits, she can't even imagine living in such a lovely space-- then surely she could stay close to the insides of walkways.

Teo, or one could say Hoji's new best friend-- though Sokka and Aang still trumped the boy in terms of how close they are with him-- leads the group to, well Hika doesn't exactly know what to call it. Essentially, it's a courtyard. Walls stretch towards the sky even higher than they already are with paintings and carvings of airbenders and their history, yet there is no ceiling confining them.

Hika looks to the airbender, glad to see him somewhat pleased with the temple. She had expected him to be jumping for joy upon seeing a place so familiar to him, but since they've gotten here he's progressively getting worse. "It's nice to see that at least one part of the temple that isn't ruined," he says, passive-aggressively directing it at Teo and his father.

The earthbender follows Aang's eyes, acknowledging her brother whose eyes sparkle upon looking at a painting on the other side of the courtyard.

"Look out!"

A man hollers, yet Hika isn't sure where from. She runs over to her brother and yanks him, turning her back to the wall and covering him despite the boy being taller than her. She's glad she did, seeing as rocks barely skim over the tall children's heads.

Her chest heaves as she coughs, releasing her deathly tight grip on Hoji as the dust settles, 'You okay?' She signs, inattentive to the people who step through the now gaping hole in the wall where a grand statue once stood.

One man with a hairline quite far back, if anything his brown hair-- which makes an odd shape peaking at the top-- is just a single band around his head. Hie eyebrows match the catastrophe up top, shaven off by who knows what.

"What the doodle?" The crazed man begins, "Don't you know enough to stay away from construction sites? We have to make room for the bathhouse!"

Aang is fuming, his cheeks growing red with absolute anger as he screams at the man. "Do you know what you did!? You just destroyed something sacred! For a stupid bathhouse!"