(XII) Earth

"Gather round, Team Avatar. In order to take out the Fire Lord—or in this case, the Melon Lord—our timing has to be perfect. First, Suki and I will draw his fire. Then, Katara and Zuko charge in with some liquidy hot offense, and while the Melon Lord is distracted, Aang swoops in... and bam!" Sokka explains. "He delivers the final blow."

"Hey, genius, you forgot about Toph and I," I tell him, raising at eyebrow.

"For now, you're the Melon Lord's forces. Toph, you throw boulders at us, while Alya, you make it hard for us to reach you, so we simulate him throwing skin-peeling fiery balls at us during the fight."

I'm sure they regret that decision a few minutes later, right after Toph starts laughing evilly. Honestly, I think she's enjoying playing the villain of this scenario a lot more than she should. It's a little concerning, honestly.

"Mwah-ha-ha-ha!" She laughs loudly.

As Suki and Sokka come at us, Toph creates stone minions and throw them in their direction, while I focus on creating random combustions around us to stop them from getting too close. One of my explosions lands a bit too close to Suki, and Sokka complains.

"Watch it, Alya!"

"Sorry! I still need to work on my aim."

"Don't apologize! We show no mercy to the weak! We're the MELON LORD!" Toph says, laughing evilly once again and throwing a boulder at Zuko and Katara.

Zuko and Katara fight together to efficiently make way for Aang through the fake army.

"Now, Aang!" Sokka calls out, while Aang jumps high into the air and prepares to launch the final blow.

However, when he reaches the Melon Lord behind me, he stops himself from striking. He looks down sadly, pulling his staff back to himself.

"What are you waiting for? Take him out!" Zuko complains from behind.

"I can't," the airbender replies.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, walking up to him with a concerned frown.

Sokka, on the other hand, is taking the scolding approach. "What's wrong with you? If this was the real deal, you'd be shot full of lightning right now."

"I'm sorry, but it just didn't feel right. I didn't feel like myself," Aang replies softly.

Sokka then takes out his sword and slices the melon in half. "There. That's how it's done."

***

That night, I notice that Aang's keeping to himself more than usual. He's eating dinner by himself, and that's never a good sign. I think I know what's up with him, because honestly, I agree.

As airbenders, we're taught to always strive for peace. We are taught that there is value in all life, and to appreciate that fact. That's why airbending is a mostly defensive art. However, with Aang being the Avatar as well, he finds himself in a dilema that would drive everyone insane. How can you balance your duty—what everyone expects from you, with your integrity—what you expect from yourself? It's a hard question, and I'm not sure if there's a right answer.

"I have a surprise for everyone," Katara says, as she walks in holding a scroll.

Toph grins. "I knew it! You did have a secret thing with Haru!"

I almost choke on my rice. "Spirits."

"Uh, no," Katara replies, shaking her head. She then unfolds the scroll and shows us a picture of an adorable baby that kind of resembles our firebender friend. "I was looking for cooking pots in the attic, and I found this! Look at baby Zuko. Isn't he cute?"