Chapter 9

Tempest's POV-

I was already up and ready to go out when the maid knocked at my door.

"Mr. Pulitzer would like to see you" she said and I ran down the stairs into his office.

"Twilight, come in" he said and I walked to his desk.

"Today is your first run. Everyday you will start from 8:30 and deliver your messages. Then you come back at 12 to collect your lunch and you may go wherever you like until 5, You must be back by then and you will help with the chores around the house. Understood?" Pulitzer explained.

"Yes sir" I said with a nod of my head.

"Here are your first packages. I want this delivered to Mr Kloppmann whom you already know. This goes to my friend Mr. Blackwell in Brooklyn. He is well known and I'm sure you can find him. The last one is to Mrs. Larkson who's in Manhattan. I believe you had your little rally there?" he asked and I nodded.

"Good. You may be on your way now" he said and I took the packages.

"Thank you Mr. Pulitzer" I said and walked outside.

"I have 10 minutes to meet with the boys" I muttered and started running to the center. There was a giant crowd of newsies there already.

"Spot! Race! Blink! Mush!" I yelled. They turned around I ran over.

"Spot!" I yelled and gave him a hug.

"Eventide! What's with all the hugging?" Spot said and gave me a kiss. I laughed and hugged the rest of the newsies.

"What's going on?" I asked Spot.

"Dunno... let's get to the front" Spot said and we pushed towards the front of the crowd.

"Hey, hey, hey! Break it up! Break it up! Hey, Tempest, Race, come here." Spot said.

"What?" I asked and looked at what he was talking about. Weasel was leading someone through the crowd of scabbers.

"Just tell me I'm seeing things. Just tell me I'm seeing things." Spot said, waving his hands around.

"No, you ain't seeing things. That's Jack. What's he doing?" Race exclaimed.

"He's dressed like a scabber!" I gasped.

"Jack? Jack, look at me, will ya? Come on, it's me, Mush. Look at me. What are you doin', Jack?" Mush pleaded.

"This ain't happening. This can't be happening. What are you doin' Jack? Come on, what are you doin'?" Blink yelled.

"Come on. What is this? Where'd you get them clothes?" Boots hollered.

"Mr. Pulitzer picked them out himself. A special gift to a special new employee." Weasel sneered.

"He sold us out!" Spot yelled.

"I'll give you a new suit! You bum! I'll soak ya!" Race threatened.

"Hey, hey, hey! Let me get my hands dirty. Come here you dirty rotten scabber! You fink! Traitor!" Spot yelled and jumped at Jack, waving his cane.

"Hey Spot!" I yelled and pulled him down.

"You scabber! Traitor" he yelled as 7 newsies pulled him back.

"I'm Pulitzer's" I whispered to the police and they let me though.

"Aww. You wanna talk to him? Come on, come on. Sure. Got right ahead." Weasel sneered to me.

"Shut your mouth Weasel" I snapped.

"So, this is why you didn't escape with David. You're a liar! You lied about everything. You lied about your father being out west, 'cause he's not out west! You didn't even tell me your real name!" I whispered.

"So? What you wanna do about it Tempest." Jack said.

"I trusted you! You were like my brother!" I mumbled.

"It's just me, I gotta look out for myself." Jack said.

"You had the newsies." I exclaimed.

"Oh, what'd being a newsies ever give me but a dime a day and a few black eyes? You know, I can't afford to be a kid no more, Tempest. For the first time in my life, I got money in my pockets. Real money. Money, you understand? I got more on the way and as soon as I collect, I'm gone, I'm away. Alright?" Jack said.

"Oh. So you would pick money over me? You think money is more important than your family?" I yelled.

"That's not what I meant" he started.

"Oh well your actions seem to be saying otherwise" I yelled.

"I want nothing to do with you Francis. Some brother you are! I never want to see your face again." I said and turned around. Suddenly, there was this fiery urge in me that wanted to beat the life right outta Jack. Before I could, he struck out and hit my shoulder, letting me fall to the ground. There was an uproar with the newsies and they tried to get past the police. I stood up and tossed the packages to the side. I was mad, so mad that I could quite possibly beat Jack to death before Weasel could even react.

"Hey! Stop it!" Weasel said. Nobody gets in my way when I make up my mind!

"Get the heck outta here Weasel" I snapped and pushed him, and watched him topple over.

"Jacky- Boy you shouldn't have done that" I hissed and walked towards him. For the first time in my life he actually looked scared. The police came and ushered Jack out of the crowd but not before I gave him a good beating. Not the best but it'll do. 3 shiners, a few hits in the stomach, and a lot of bruises.

"Traitor!" Spot yelled.

"You make me sick!" hollered Blink.

"I trusted you!" Boots called.

"Seize the day, huh Jack?" Race sarcastically yelled. I stood in the front and let out a string of curse words.

"He's foolin' 'em, so he can spy on 'em or something. Yeah, yeah, that's it. He's foolin' 'em!" Les said.

I patted his shoulder as Race said, "Yeah, he's spying on then, kid." I picked up the packages and wiped the blood off my staff.

"He deserved it" Spot said and the rest of the newsies agreed.

"He looked scared of me" I laughed.

"When you're in a rage like that, who wouldn't be?" Blink exclaimed and we all laughed.

"I need to go deliver these, wanna come?" I asked them and they all said sure.

"2 in Manhattan and 1 in Brooklyn." I said. We went to Medda's and put it at her door as well as the newsies lodging house.

"Hey Spot, you know who Blackwell is?" I asked him.

"Yeah, he lives behind the shirtwaist factory." he said and I ran off.

"I hope I gave it to the right house" I muttered and ran back to where the newsies were standing.

"It's 11:30. I need to go back to Pulitzer's" I said.

"I'll be right out" I called and walked into the house.

"Hello Mrs. Pulitzer" I said and curtseyed.

"Twilight, Joseph would like to speak with you. In the office." she said.

"Thank you" I said and walked into the office.

"You made it on time" Pulitzer said.

"Yes sir" I muttered.

"Before I can let you go, I have some business to talk to you about." he started. I nodded and waited for him to continue.

"My son Ralph has taken an interest in you. But I understand you are with... another?" he continued. I remained motionless and stared at him.

"I would like his name." Pulitzer ordered.