Chapter Thirteen: Reptiles to the Rescue

The sea spread out before us wide and empty

The sea spread out before us wide and empty. Not a mast on the grey horizon.

On an upside though the rain finally stopped.

Ebony drifted lazily between dragon riders. Thank goodness no one had to wake her. When we got back to camp we found that she'd eaten everything but the perch out of the cache Meatlug and Shattermaster brought back and was ridiculously pleased with herself for doing so.

We were making good time. It's about a day's flight to Caldera Cay from Melody Island and by ten we had already passed Algae. Flightmares are not as keen on being active during the day so we had no trouble there.

I found myself staring at the water far below. Was that a shimmer, or a strange black and white creature I saw? I tapped Stormfly and we broke formation.

Gliding down to sea level we were met only by waves. Not a beastie in sight.

"What are you doing?" My husband glided in next to me.

"Nothing. Thought I saw something but it was probably just a dolphin."

He studied the water. "Black and white?"

"You saw it too?"

He nodded absent mindedly.

The rest of the gang swooped in to join us.

"What are you two love birds talking about?" Snotlout interrupted with one of his smug grins.

"Gushy stuff." I said, just for the fun of irritating him.

"Ugh. Nevermind I don't want to know."

"Okay so we all know that Dragon Hunter Island is only about two day's distance from Caldera Cay. By boat of course. Who wants to put money on those rapscallions?" Fishlegs growled.

"MONEY? I want to put macey on those rapscallions. And IN those rapscallions."

"All in good time, all in good time," Dagur chuckled wickedly. "My sword is thirsty too."

"You guys remember the part where we don't fire first, right?" Hiccup turned in the saddle. "And the goal isn't to end them."

"Of course. But it's a guarantee they're going to shoot so, might as well anticipate."

"Just remember -cough- some of us -cough- were just as bad as they are once."

"Ouch. Drudging up the past, eh Hiccup?" Dagur rolled his eyes. "That's beneath you."

"Just to prove a point is all."

"Speaking of beneath us, canvases at nine o' clock!" Snotlout pointed due west.

Six to seven white masts gave away a substantial fleet. We hooted and hollered. Out came the javalin again.

Hiccup set his jaw. "Formation!"