Nightmares

'I had my arms spread out beside me, like a bird would do, enjoying the light breeze that the weather was providing. I felt as free as the birds in the sky up above, there were no worries and no pain of any kind, in all it was wonderful. I whirled around in circles, I liked the way the wind would make my dress twirl. I giggled when I felt arms pick me up. I was wearing a white dress with white sandals that were decorated with small plastic flowers.

"Sky it's time to go." A voice said and I turned to see the man. He had thick black long hair and dark grey eyes like mine.  "I wanna stay. Oh please, just for a little bit." I pleaded with my puppy eyes. I heard him sigh."Okay fine but just a tiny bit more."  He gave in. "Yay! You're the best." I exclaimed happily. I kissed his cheek as he put me down.

I ran around chasing all the beautiful colorful butterflies, there were orange, yellow, maroon, and blue. Of course some had two colors and that made them look like orbs of color flying around in the air. I was interested in one it particular, it was blue in the center and black around the edges. It landed right on the man's nose so I ran over to him and then stopped and walked slowly so that the butterfly wouldn't be startled. 

Just as I was so close to touching it, it flew away. I groaned in fustration and the man chuckled to which I turned and glared at him. That just made him laugh harder, I walked up to him but just as I was about to tell him that it wasn't funny, he grabbed me and tickled me. "It's hahaha.. not fa- hahah fair." I said in between laughs. He stopped tickling me and gave me his best puppy face.

"Okay, will you forgive me?" I thought about it, I had to forgive him after all he had brought me here and he let me stay longer. I nodded and he smiled. 

He laughed and it seemed to echo throughout the whole forest. All the surrounding sounds gone as if listening to this one man and I too listened. Then it all went fuzzy and suddenly there were wolves surrounding us but not like the normal wolves these were bigger, like the ones that had tried to attack me.

Everything was dark and gloomy looking, the sun was gone and it's place there were dark blue clouds and a almost pitch black sky. The wolves growled as the lightning struck, they looked really scary. I ran back to the man and hugged him tightly, there was something wrong about this whole situation.  I looked up to him, he was very tall but of course at the age of six everyone and everything is tall, he had a grim expression on his face but smiled once he saw me looking at him.

The man kneeled down "Sky, I want you to listen to me okay?" I nodded "I want you to be a big girl and run to the house and don't stop until you get there." 

"I am a big girl daddy." I proudly stated standing straight. "I know honey, and that's why you should go and tell your mother that I love her." He smiled. "I love you Kat" He said using his special nickname for me, my second name is Katherine.

 "I know, I love you too daddy." I said kissing his cheek. He kissed my forehead "You are the most beautiful gift." He whispered to me and I could see tears forming in his eyes. I wiped one away as it rolled down his cheek "Daddy don't cry, you are the best." I comforted him. He breathed in a deep long breath before standing up.

"Kat run." He commanded and I did. I almost always listened to what my father told me to do even sometimes when I didn't want to, there was something that told me to listen to him, but today was not the case, I ignored that little voice that told me to listen. After all I did say I almost always listen to him.

I hid behind one nearby bush and I saw as my daddy stood in front of the wolves. It seemed as if he was talking to them and they seemed to be listening. The lightning struck once again and I was not able to see what was going on but once the lightning went away I could see the wolves were lunging straight at daddy. 

I saw in horror as they ripped him to shreds, I cried seeing all of the wolves around him. "Daddy!" I cried out but the thunder covered my cry out to him. 

Suddenly I wasn't behind a bush but now I was out into the clearing in the forest. I wasn't alone though Toby was sitting next to me. I  couldn't talk, it's not that I was speechless, my mouth was moving but no words were coming out. Toby stood up smirking and I just looked at him but turned away to look around me as I heard thunder again. 

The sky hadn't changed, it was still dark, the plants that once were bright and blooming with life were now dead.  I turned back to Toby but he wasn't there anymore in his place was a big black wolf, it was enormous not even the other wolves I have seen were as big as this one. There were two other wolves next to the black wolf, one on each side. I recognized them as the wolves that had attacked me. Instant fear overcame me and I felt my face pale. 

"I told you to stay away from the forest!" Toby's voice boomed in my head, obviously furious. The black wolf lunged at me and I opened my mouth to scream. I bit my lip knowing that whatever sound I was making would go out into reality.'

I sat up in bed, finally waking up in a cold sweat again. I closed my eyes and cried, I had been having this nightmare ever since the wolves had attacked me. At first it wasn't bad at all, of course day by day the nightmare began to expand. The first one was the day of the attack, I didn't tell anyone because it wasn't that bad and I normally ignored it but now it was getting to the point were it was almost occupying my head.

Between the nightmares and Toby making my life a living hell I felt like I was about to break. I sobbed but stopped once I felt the bed dip. I tensed and I felt my blood run cold. I opened my eyes and saw the black wolf from my nightmare. I backed up in my bed till I felt my back hit the bedpost.

To say I was terrified was an understatement. "Please don't hurt me. Don't kill me." I pleaded to the wolf as if it understood. Under other circumstances I would be laughing at myself but there was nothing funny about this situation.

The wolf walked towards me and I closed my eyes and bit my lip once again. I didn't want Aunt Linda to hear me, I didn't want to worry her. She was worried about me as it was, I had been waking her up with my loud screams but thankfully I had learned to control it. 

I felt something warm and soft so I opened my eyes to see the wolf lay next to me as if telling me that he meant no harm and I knew it. I laid down and hugged him and continued crying, wetting his fur. Once I was done the wolf turned to face me and licked my face, wiping my tears away.

I smiled feeling a bit relieved. "You know what?" I asked the wolf and he turned back to me. He was listening, I was sure of it now. "I'm starting to like you. I think I'll call you Blacky." I swear I heard a laugh from him. I laughed too "I know I’m not good at giving names but just bear with it." 

"You know, you're not as bad as you seem. At least not how I see you in my nightmares." I commented picturing the black wolf in my dream that was about to kill me. He put his snout on the side of my neck and I petted him behind his ear. "Of course nightmares are always bad. But I know that you are a good dog." He growled lightly. 

"Oh I’m sorry I mean you're not such a bad wolf, Blacky." I apologized and he licked my face once more obviously pleased with my correction. He pushed me down and I laid next to him. I hugged him and petted him as I fell asleep.