15 - Oliver

Moving out entailed more than I thought and I only occupied three rooms, my bedroom, my office and the kitchen

Moving out entailed more than I thought and I only occupied three rooms, my bedroom, my office and the kitchen. Emma told me to take what I needed and she would pack the rest to store in the basement. I felt embarrassed because I had a lot of clothes. My suits filled the backseat of my Audi.

As I emptied my drawers into black heavy duty garbage bags, I felt like either a murderer or a husband caught cheating. For the record, I would never cheat or kill.

Emma appeared. "What's so funny?"

She was beautiful every time I looked at her I felt breathless.

Smirking, I held up the trash bag filled with boxers, undershirts, sweats and other casual clothing.

I deepened my voice for effect. "In fiction, overloaded bags mean trouble."

She giggled and pulled a bag out of the box. I watched as she stepped into it.

I dropped socks into my bag. "What are you doing?"

Her melodious laugh filled the room and my heart. "Seeing if I fit."

"Don't! I promised not to kill you. You'll give me nightmares."

Lunging forward, I lifted her out of the bag and threw her on the bed. My body followed the forward momentum and landed next to her. I looked at her laughing, and although I hadn't planned it, seeing her flat on my bed, kindled the desire inside me.

Before I pressed my lips onto hers, she rolled away from me and off the bed, landing on the floor with a thump. "I'm okay! I should go."

Like a child, I pleaded. "Please stay."

She stood and shook her head rapidly. "I'll talk to my roommate about Oreo."

Sighing, I ran my fingers through my hair. How could I convince her to stop running away?

When I entered my parents' house holding a black plastic bag, my little brother looked up from the baseball game.

"Whose body?"

My mother approached me dressed in pajamas and a robe. It was only nine, but she liked to get comfortable after dinner. She kissed my cheek.

"Sweetheart, you need luggage."

Sighing, I looked at my father, smirking. "I have luggage, but it seemed easier to dump my drawers."

My father's chuckling grew louder. "I remember when Steve showed up with a bag like that. It took a week of groveling for Jill to let him back in the house."

Dex's parents were not as happily married as mine.

JJ said, "Too bad, Oliver doesn't have a girlfriend or a wife to throw him out."

I was about to argue but held my tongue. "Anyone want to help me? I have more in the car."

JJ shook his head. "James, help your brother."

Kenneth Sumner was our father and our boss, we never said no to his orders.

"Sweetheart. When you're done, I have chocolate cake."

Outside by my car, JJ whispered. "Dex said you made brinner for a girl."

"So."

"So, you should have moved into her place instead."

"It's not like that." My face deceived me by grinning.

My brother slapped me on my back. "You want it to be."

I wanted it to be a lot more than it was. I was physically tired when I slipped on to a stool in my mother's kitchen.

She smiled as she handed me a slice of cake. "What about your cat?"

"Emma's asking her roommate if she can stay with them."

"You'll miss her."

I shrugged, but thought I'd like to visit her.

"I like her."

I looked up from the cake to my mother's smile.

"I know, but JJ's allergic."

She laughed. "I meant Emma."

"You do?"

She nodded. "She's real. Maybe it's because she's not from here. She's not like Amanda."

"No, she's not. How do you know where she's from?"

What did I know about her except how right it felt when I was with her?

She put her hand on my arm. "I had a conversation with her. I know I raised you boys with privilege, but I tried to teach you to value every person."

"You did."

I couldn't tell my mother I was too busy trying to kiss Emma and picking her up off the ground to get to know her. Lord, I just learned she had a cat.

"I talk to people. I'll talk to Emma. She's doing a great job."

She patted my arm. "That's my boy. Put your plate in the dishwasher when you're done. Good night." She kissed my cheek and left me to think of all the things I knew about Emma, not much.