part 59: more to you

{later that night}

"Spinel? Steven?"

You lumbered slowly up the stairs, smiling as you spotted the young gems in front of Steven's TV, steven already in his PJs as they continued their play of video games, both of them giggling and occasionally yelping at something that would happen in game. They were clearly having a blast. And you couldn't help but smile at the sound of their laughter. I could watch them all day. You chuckled to yourself, shaking your head and stepping forward and raising your voice slightly. "Helloooo?" At hearing your voice, they turn their attention away from the television, smiling brightly as they saw you trotting towards them, smiling warmly as you sat down before them. "Hi (name)!" Steven happily greeted, putting their game on pause and turning their full attention on you fully. "Me and Spinel were just about to beat this final boss!" Spinel pouted slightly at the mention of it, but giggled softly. "This bad guy's a bit of a doozy, lemme tell ya." She looked back at the screen, glaring a little at the baddie on the screen. "Really knows how to put up a fight..." she stared for a moment before smiling playfully up at you. "Bet you could take em down pretty easily!"

Steven made a a little hmph noise, crossing his arms in a matter-of-factly, wearing a rather smug but playful smile on his face. "I bet she could take em down without even trying." He states with quite a bit of confidence. "Just a one hit and done." Spinel squishes her cheeks, her eyes filling with stars at his statement before looking back at you. "Do ya think you can One n' Done a bad guy, (name)?" you chortle lightly in amusement at their childish cuteness and shrugged. "Not if they run at the sight of the mighty (name)!" You replied, playfully swatting a forepaw with mock ferociousness, making a little rawr! noise.

This made the young gems burst into laughter, spinel having to lean on steven from laughing so hard

You just smiled at them, adoration shining in your eyes.

It made you happy to make them happy.

After the laughter died down, you approached them, gesturing to the bed. "Time for sleep. Today was eventful day" Steven nodded, yawning and stretching almost as if it were on cue. "Yeah, you're right..." he murmured, the tiredness already taking hold of him. "We'll try an finish them off tomorrow." As he made his way over to the bed, Spinel stretched aswell, yawning herself, letting you pick her up gently into your forepaws. "Okie dokie." She replied, with a groggy undertone in her voice. "Goodnight, spinel!" He calls over to the pink gem as he got himself situated under the covers, in which spinel waved at him with a tired smile. "Nighty night steven!" She calls as you walked slowly down the stairs, setting the small pink gem down onto the couch, covering draping a blanket over her with a midarm. After making sure she's situated, wandered to your usual sleeping spot. After circling a few times, you laid down, curling up into a comfortable position.

"Goodnight, (name)!" Both Steven and Spinel piped in unison, to which you purred, smiling. "Goodnight Steven! Spinel!" After which, you shut your eyes, letting yourself fall into a peace sleep.

~~~~(in the warp room)~~~~~

"You really snitched on us?"

Amethyst narrowed her eyes at garnet, crossing her arms in annoyance as garnet just stared indifferently. "Well. Someone had to teach you guys a thing or two about bickering." She states in a nonchalant manner, to which amethyst groaned, rolling her eyes. "It would've been better if it was just you, though... that stupid shirt thing was too much, dude!" She grasped her head, blushing at the memory of being strapped to pearl for a whole 30 minutes. "Uugh, I can't believe she even did that... like, (name)'s been real spazzy since that space ship incident!" Garnet shrugs. "She's been acting on instinct." She replied cooly, crossing her arms. "And there's nothing wrong with having maternal instincts." Amethyst scoffs, her arms falling lazily at her sides. "Well she needs to chill it out... I mean she's acting like an actual mom," She muttered, looking at the ground. "..But more... fluffy and... scary..." garnet looked over to the spot you were sleeping in, watching the slow rise and fall of your back as you snored softly "...Well, it could've been worse." Amethyst looks up at the tall gem in with a small frown. "That's crazy, man... she's crazy..." She then shrugs lazily, smiling in a laid-back manner. "Ah well, at least I got pizza out of it. (Name)'s cool like that. Right P?" She looked over to her pale teammate, only to find her peeking out from behind the warp room walls, staring pensively at your sleeping form. "ehm... P?"

"It really is astonishing on how close she and steven has grown since she's stayed here..." She muttered, her voice slightly muffled from behind her hand as her eyes switched from the loft to you repeatedly. "She cares so much about him. And spinel to... it's truly remarkable... she's the most serene gem of corruption we've ever encountered." Amethyst scoffs under her breath, crossing her arms into a pout while garnet sets her hands on her hips. "Let's try keep her that way.." with that response, she turns to the temple doors, disappearing into her room, leaving the other 2 behind. Amethyst stared in her direction for a second before sighing to herself. "Right... whatever." she turns and walks to the door, accessing her own room. "Mama bear's still cool. right P?" She turns to look at the gem, who was once again staring at your sleeping form. She waits for a reply, but after a minute she merely shrugs and enters her room, leaving pearl by herself.

Pearl gripped the wall, leaning forward to get a closer look at you. Even from her distance, you're the most serene gem she's ever been around in a while..

'there's something about her...' she narrowed her eyes, shifting her gaze from spinel, to the portrait, to you. "There must be more to you, (name)..." she thought walking towards the temple door, not taking her eyes off you.

"We just haven't dug deep enough."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Achievement unlocked: Peaked a Pearl's interest

Also...

The corrupt gemling reader and Homeworld route?

It's out.