Chapter 14 - Natasha, it's Natasha

Azara's pov

I wake up, blinking rapidly, as the flickering, bright white lights above my head make my head throb. After opening my eyes fully, I attempt to sit up but a searing pain in my abdomen stops me. I try to move my arms but the familiar feeling of cold leather and metal buckles pin my hands down.

"Don't move, Schatten Soldat," an unfamiliar German voice startles me.

Walking into my limited eye line, I see a tall and familiar man in a long, grey, woollen coat, "I never got to introduce myself. I am Commander Petrov Dreykovsky and you already know Sergeant Volstad."

The grey haired man I met in Zossen moves aside and another man, also familiar to me, approaches from the corner, his piercing eyes glaring at me like daggers. His bald head gleams dully in the harsh lighting.

"Ah, Soldat, so good to see you," his venomous tone tells me his intentions don't include having a coffee and catchup, "you have returned as Dr Alarie promised. Now, the fun begins."

He strides towards me, the intermittent clicking of his metal lower leg against the cracked tiles on the floor stop as he picks up a large syringe of a blue coloured liquid and unhesitatingly inserts it into my scratched and exposed forearm.

"Your father made even more improvements to the serum. I will watch with pleasure as you become oura again," He sets the now empty syringe onto the metal operating table besides me.

"You d-died," I manage to croak out. My throat is as dry as sawdust and my lungs hurt like a burning knife is being driven into them.

"And your 'friends' from New York think you died, just as you did me, even the little Widow," his voice fades as I fall into a deep unconsciousness before I can respond.

6 months later

"Get up, Soldat."

"Ja, Führer," (Yes, Commander) I stand stiffly from my bed and salute my superior.

"Sergeant Volstad is visiting today to see you off to your mission," he strides further into the room and brushes down his grey coat, looking around at my room, turning his nose up in disgust.

"Mission, sir?" I ask monotonously.

"Ja (Yes), you will go will Helmut Zemo to the Avenegrs' signing of the Sokovia Accords. Sergeant Volstad will brief you as it was his mission," and with that, the Commander turns and leaves my quarters in haste so I head down to the briefing room.

"Schatten Soldat, now that you are healed," I subconsciously rub the exit wound scar of the HYDRA poisoned bullet that sent me into a comatose state in the Black Window's arms, "you will be aiding Zemo in setting off a bomb at the Accords in Vienna to draw out der WinterSoldat (the Winter Soldier). You leave tonight," his metal leg clicks and clinks as he exits the room, leaving me to get ready.

~~~~~~

"Schatten, Zemo, you are to complete this mission and return back with haste," Sergeant Volstad stands stoically by the jet door.

"Ja, Sergeant," we reply.

"Good," without another word, he walks away, a slight limp in his step.