Twenty-One

When Eddie woke, Richie's arms were wrapped around his waist, Richie's nose grazing his neck, their legs intertwined. Eddie lay still and interlaced his fingers with Richie's, watching the morning sun stream through the windows.

Richie awakened to a pounding headache. He was dehydrated and warm from the body next to him, the body in his arms. He began to discretely move away, embarrassed, then he saw that Eddie was already awake.

'Morning,' he said, relaxing as he realised that if Eddie was uncomfortable, he would have got out of the bed. He didn't know if he would ever get to hold Eddie like this again, so he wanted it to last as long as possible.

'Morning,' Eddie said nervously, his back curling slightly, toes grazing the curled hairs on Richie's legs.

'What time is it?' Richie asked, hoping they wouldn't have to get up too soon.

Eddie squinted at the clock. 'Nine thirty,' he said.

Richie grumbled, 'Ugh, so early,' and buried his face into the pillow.

Eddie rolled his eyes, 'I'm normally up at six thirty for work. You should count yourself lucky.' He drummed his fingers on Richie's. 'We should probably get up if we want to get breakfast.'

Richie squeezed him gently, 'Five more minutes?'

Eddie chuckled and stroked Richie's arm. 'Come on.'

Richie groaned and let his arms slide away. Eddie felt strangely naked without them. They climbed out of the bed and looked at each other. They both had the same thought: this could have been our life together.

Eddie went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Richie stretched, the vertebrae cracking in his back. There was a knock at the door. Without thinking, Richie answered it.

Mike stood there. He narrowed his eyes. 'Oh, I thought this was Eddie's room.'

Richie coughed, 'Uh, it is. He's in the bathroom. I just popped over to see if he, uh,' he scanned the dresser beside him, 'had any aspirin. The shots were a bad idea last night.'

Mike looked Richie up and down, noting the short hemline of the pyjama bottoms. He cocked an eyebrow, but he didn't comment. 'Breakfast here, then we'll head out.' He watched as Eddie exited the bathroom, toothbrush hanging from his frothing mouth. 'I'll see you both downstairs.'

Mike swivelled on his heels and disappeared down the corridor. Richie turned to Eddie with a concerned look on his face, but Eddie was surprisingly calm. He said, loud enough for Mike to hear, 'Thanks for the aspirin. I'll see you down there,' then went back to his own room.

Richie figured that Eddie's calm demeanour meant that he really did believe in the innocence of sharing a bed with Richie and the doubt crept back into his mind. Deflated, Richie slumped over his bathroom sink and groaned.

The truth was, Eddie was too consumed with the realisation he'd come to this morning as he lay in Richie's arms: he didn't want Richie to let go. It felt right to lie there with him, felt gorgeous and romantic. He didn't feel the same guilt or panic as he had done in New York. He just felt happy. Comfy.

At breakfast, Richie went back to making jokes at Eddie's expense, and Eddie went back to cussing at Richie. Mike watched them carefully, a smirk brewing on his face. After a while, he mentioned that he wanted to take the Losers down to their old hideout, in the hopes that it would bring back some memories.

It was strange to be there. The posters, the paddle ball, the tin of shower caps. Both Richie and Eddie saw the hammock and fondly smiled. Instinctively, they glanced at each other, and they both knew that they recalled the same happy memories. Richie's heart lifted as Eddie's opened.