Part 33

Conrad is still embarrassed about crying in front of Carlos, three hours later.

She's on the phone with Charlotte while she's wandering around her bathroom, preparing for her shower.

"Your mom told me to ask you if you're going to be coming home any weekend soon. She wants to book a cruise, and she wants to be home whenever you come home," Charlotte drawls through the phone, cringing as she can hear something fall.

Conrad dives after the bottle of conditioner that slipped out of her hands, straightening back up as she puts it onto the shower shelf.

"Tell her I'll let her know. It's hectic here at the moment; I've been in the office and field the last nine days," Conrad responds, her eyes squeezed closed.

She really wants to tell Charlotte about what's going on because her friend could attempt to give her signature half-bad advice.

"You sound like you have a frog in your throat. Do you want me to get Matt to check on you? Because he will," Charlotte suggests, and Conrad rubs her temples.

"No, I'll be fine. I'm just stressed," she sighs, and Charlotte stares at the phone.

"You're stressed, and you're not running? This is a first," Charlotte comments teasingly.

"I just got back from a run; keep your mouth shut, little lady," Conrad snorts, turning on the heated towel rack in the bathroom, a grin on her face as she drapes a few towels over it.

If there's anything that will get her out of the shower, it's a warm towel.

"Did you enjoy your run?" Charlotte asks, and Conrad takes a moment to think about it.

"No. It was crap, I was in the field today, and I think my legs are going to fall off any minute now. Jane is exhausted," Conrad comments, trying not to smirk.

Jane was pestering Conrad the whole time they were in the conference room with Carlos, and Conrad was annoyed by it.

Charlotte releases a sudden laugh on the end of the line, scaring Conrad a little.

"How's Jane doing? I'd say she loves being around all of the men," Charlotte coos, and Conrad chuckles.

"She comments on them all. She adores Carlos; she does a monologue every time we see him," Conrad responds, laughter drowning some of her words.

"Harriet used to do the same. Now she only comments on Matt, which is annoying. There's no more pin the tail on the pretty boy," Charlotte whines, and Conrad bursts into giggles, leaning against the wall.

"Oh my Goddess, do you remember that game? Marcy hated that so much; we always got her to run after them," Conrad squeals, remembering their college days.

"She still says it's the only reason she passed her physical exercise requirements, so less of the lip! It was hilarious, those poor human boys," Charlotte chuckles, leaning her back against her headboard.

"We were good for something, then. How are you and Matt?" Conrad asks, letting her giggles die out.

She walks over to the bathroom mirror, deciding to clean her brows up.

"Good. We tried phone sex yesterday," Charlotte casually states, and Conrad nearly butchers her brows.

"Sorry, what?" Conrad cackles, and Charlotte tuts.

"We're in a long-distance relationship, and we have needs," Charlotte complains, and Conrad has to put the tweezers down.

"No, I know that bit. You just said it so casually," Conrad giggles.