Epilogue: The Wedding of Sherlock Holmes

One year later

"Come on Sherlock, we are going to miss our reservation!" John shouted from the lounge. 

It was the anniversary of when he and Sherlock had become an official couple, and he was planning to propose. He wasn't sure how Sherlock would react, but it just felt right. The last year had had its ups and downs, Victor yelling in Sherlock's head being a big down, but they had made it and John loved Sherlock just as much as he ever did.

He was feeling nervous; compulsively reaching into his pocket to make sure the ring box was still there, scared that he had forgotten it, or that it had fallen out of his jacket pocket.

"I don't know why you insist on eating out." Sherlock complained, walking into the lounge. He was dressed in a sharp suit that perfectly accentuated his hips, causing John's face to flush a lovely scarlet. "I mean if you insist on eating, just order take-away. You know being around that much useless information gives me a headache."

"It's our anniversary, Sherlock. Can't you just deal with it for one night?" John asked, voice stained with a slight begging tone.

Sherlock eyed him carefully, feeling that John was acting suspicious. His hand had a slight tremble, and he kept reaching for his side pocket. Ah, the pocket must be the key. Sherlock examined the exterior of the pocket, noticing a slight bulge the same shape and size as a ring box. He froze, slightly cursing his own deductive abilities. John was going to propose to him tonight, and he just ruined it. Well, he doesn't need to let John know that he knows, he can still makes this special for his partner.

"Yes, of course I can." Sherlock said, demeanor completely changing from his previous rigid tone. "Sorry for taking so long to get ready, but we can leave now if you want." Sherlock walked over to John, grabbing the stunned man's face gently in his hands, and kissed him sweetly.

John was completely shocked by Sherlock's sudden change of behavior. Maybe Sherlock could behave himself long enough to have an enjoyably evening. John's heart was bursting with love and admiration for the detective, and the nervousness melted slightly. John could not comprehend how a man like Sherlock could ever love a person like him, but he was grateful for it.

"Yeah, okay." John said with a blissful smile. He pressed his lips to Sherlock's for a brief minute before pulling away.

Hand-in-hand, Sherlock and John walked down the stairs, out of the flat and onto the street. Sherlock reached up with the hand that wasn't wrapped around John's to hail a cab, but John pushed it down. Sherlock looked at him quizzically.

"It's not that far." John explained. "I thought maybe it would be nice to walk." He smiled up at Sherlock, giving his hand an extra, comforting squeeze.

"Lovely" Sherlock said, flashing John a quick smile before walking briskly, dragging John alongside him.

"Sherlock, slow down, there's no rush." John said, quickening his steps to keep up with his long-legged partner.

"I thought we had a reservation to keep." Sherlock said, slowing his steps. "I don't want us to miss it because I was being a git."

John chuckled light heartedly. "It's okay, really. We will make fine time, just slow down. Relax."

Sherlock nodded his head, turning away from John to look out in front of him. His head swam with the thoughts of every possible outcome of tonight. What if he messed up making it so John changed his mind or what if he gave away the fact he knew so John changed his mind? Are you even sure that that is what he plans to do tonight? Why would anyone want to marry you? This way, he can escape if he wants to. If he marries you, he is stuck to you for good. Though, not necessarily. He left his last partner for someone else, who is to say he won't do it again? Shut up, John would never do that to me! If you say so...