Chapter 21

When he arrived back to the campsite, Vince found Ranalla had everything in order. She had even pulled out the dried fruit for their dinner. He had to admit he was impressed at how well she had adapted to their life on the run in the wilderness. Most women wouldn't have done it so easily. His heart tightened at everything that had happened, and everything that was about to happen.

They sat together in front of a bright fire, and Vince pulled her close. The embers floated up into the star-filled night. Ranalla sighed.

"This is so beautiful." The crackle of the fire made her smile contently.

"Yes." Vince held her tight, but his voice seemed distant.

She looked up at him. "What's wrong? Worried about the helicopter?"

He gave a short laugh. "Yeah. That's it."

Ranalla pulled back slightly. Her brow furrowed. "What's wrong?" She shook her head as he opened his mouth. "Don't say the helicopter. There's something else."

He continued staring at the fire. "You're getting the raw end of all this."

"I don't understand."

Vince turned and looked at her. "You should be in a posh hotel being pampered."

She shook her head and smiled contently. "Nope. I'd rather be here with you."

A look of sadness crossed his face. "Are you so sure?"

She nodded. "Oh, yes!"

Vince pulled her closer and softly took her lips with his own. The kiss quickly became more demanding as he moved her to the connected sleeping bags. The night became filled with soft sounds of lovemaking.

The next morning, Vince led them further north. Ranalla was beginning to get a better sense of where she was and the direction they were heading. The terrain was pretty much the same. Trees, rocks, and hills were everywhere. Chipmunks abounded in this area. It seemed like one darted out of their path every few yards.

Close to noon, Vince paused and looked around him. Ranalla was slightly out of breath as she paused beside him. He scanned the direction they were heading in. Taking a deep breath, he turned to her and took her face in his hands.

"Ranalla, do you trust me?" His eyes bore into hers.

"Yes, I trust you." She was startled at the words, the intensity of his voice, and the look on his face.

He opened his mouth to speak and no words came out. He closed his eyes as though trying to compose himself. "Just trust me no matter what, okay?" He looked at her again as though pleading with her.

"Vince, what's all this about?" She took his wrists in her own hands and held them tight as fear began to coil up in the pit of her stomach.

Harshly, he said, "Just trust me, even when you think you shouldn't."

"Vince!"

She gasped as he released her abruptly and began walking away. His words were so confusing and his actions even more so. She ran to keep up with him as his pace increased. Just as a stitch was forming in her side, she slammed into Vince's back. He had stopped suddenly and was staring straight ahead.

Ranalla moved where she could follow his line of vision. She gasped as she saw Sheldon ......