Chapter 5

Chapter 5

~

“What about this coffee table?” Lenny gestured towards a vintage, tarnished, wooden coffee table. It was too low and low tables really annoyed Lucy, “What’s the use of a low table? We may as well keep our coffees on the floor,” Lucy argued. “Good idea!” He exclaimed. “I was joking Lenny…”

Lenny nervously laughed and followed after Lucy as she had already begun walking past. “Uh Luce? My feet are starting to hurt. Can we finish shopping before the pain gets worse?” Lucy shook her head, “You know we still have grocery shopping to do right?” Lenny’s eyes widened, “No, please. What have I done to deserve this?” Lucy scoffed in annoyance, “Made me fat.”

Lenny sighed as he got into the car and massaged his feet. The passenger door opened and Lucy hopped into the front seat next to him, “Okay… so I think we got everything we needed desperately but we’ll need to keep getting more furniture until the house isn’t as bare.” Lenny groaned and sat properly into his seat, “Don’t remind me.”

“Oh please,” Lucy looked up from her clipboard to look at Lenny, “It’s not that bad.” Lenny clicked his seatbelt on and turned the key in the ignition, “You got some money for the groceries? It’s only fair.” Lenny said with an eyebrow raised. Lucy rolled her eyes, “Yes, of course.” And she went back to her shopping list, packed neatly into a clipboard.

Lenny dragged his feet as he walked down each aisle of the grocery store, the trolley getting ever so heavy as Lucy ravenously picked items off the shelves. “Ah yes, we’ll need some of that.”

“Lucy, do you know how to cook?” Lenny asked his voice shaky with doubt. “No but I’m sure it’s not that hard.” Lenny gulped and continued walking. “Lucy, I’m really sure we don’t need all this. What are planning to make with condensed milk?” Lenny asked, picking a random item from the mountain of groceries in the trolley. “I heard it’s really nice,” Lucy replied, nonchalant. “No, Lucy. Some of these… You only buy them for special recipes,” Lenny persisted. “Since when did you know anything about shopping?”

“Since now; when I’m about to lose all my money to it,” His eyebrows furrowed and as Lucy continued walking he tried putting some items back onto the shelves. He could only see the back of Lucy but he could tell she was rolling her eyes. “I thought I was paying,” She retorted. “Yes well that will all change when you run out of money, won’t it?” Intelligently, Lucy ignored him.

Lenny sprinted to the lady behind the cash register and kindly asked her if she could re-shelve some of the items, as they wouldn’t be needed and while Lucy was flipping through the magazines the lady managed to put half of the items away for re-shelving.

Lenny and Lucy happily walked out of the store with three plastic bags each. “Wow, that lady sure knows how to pack such a large amount of groceries neatly into just six bags. She should definitely get a promotion or something.” Lenny shook his head and smiled, ‘I can’t believe I got away with that,’ he thought.

When Lenny got home he was close to crawling his way inside, dragging the shopping bags by his feet. “It hurts… my feet really hurt!” Lucy laughed, “You’ll be fine.” She had already begun to unpack the groceries and had started storing them. Lenny on the other hand had the important job of assembling the furniture; a position strategically placed by Lucy.

“Do you think it would be a good idea to start now? Not to waste a day… I think that’s a good idea. Yes, we’ll start today. Lenny hurry up, I’m keen to finish these cookies in time for afternoon tea.” All the while Lenny was outside struggling with a particularly heavy piece of furniture: a dining room table. Although the result wouldn’t have changed no matter what Lenny’s opinion was; Lucy was quite stubborn.