Chapter 7

Taking a seat next to Mello on the velvet couch, you didn't exchange much conversation with anyone. As you sat there, you hoped that Sayu would be watched over properly, though you knew you couldn't place much trust in your colleagues. At least she won't be with Bob... who knows what he would've done. You shuddered at the thought, quickly recomposing yourself after.

After a few minutes of sitting, you heard footsteps come into the room. You turned your gaze upwards to see Pedoro, who you had placed in charge of watching over the girl.

"She's awake."

Immediately, you stood up, and looked at Mello, "Let me speak to her."

He nodded, and you went down to where Sayu was being kept. Though you didn't know what you were going to say, you wanted to tell her you would keep her safe. Of course she wouldn't trust somebody who had just kidnapped her, but you didn't care what she thought, as long as Sayu was kept out of harm's way. As you peered into the cell, you saw she was curled into a ball, confused and crying.

You knocked on the cell, "Hello?" you called out, warmly.

Her head shot up and she looked at you fearfully.

You took a sharp breath as you spoke, "Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

She said nothing, still afraid. You didn't expect her to say anything right away, but you hoped she would soon trust you. Looking at her in this state was absolutely agonizing, as she continued to whimper fearfully, backing farther and farther into the corner.

"I don't assume you're going to start talking anytime soon, but I want you to know I'm going to keep you as safe as I can. If you need anything at all, please let me know. My name is Y/N."

She remained silent, but slightly nodded, befuddled at your benevolence.

"Look, as long as your father listens to us, you'll be out of here safely, and that's all I want."

She opened her mouth slightly to speak, but quickly closed it in fear of your true intentions.

"It's okay, you can ask anything." you said softly. "And even if the others insist, I'm not gonna let them touch you."

"W-why a-are you being s-so.. nice?" she said in a low whisper, barely audible.

Although your actions were just human decency, you still were warmed from her response. As you looked down into her eyes, you said, "Because I know what it feels like."

Without any questions, she looked back down, continuing to stare at the ground. You didn't expect her to say any more, especially in this situation. Sitting yourself right outside of the stall, you kept an eye on her attentively, even as you heard noises from the other men in the background.

"They're speaking to your father right now. You're going to be okay, alright? I'm here."

Sayu, finally looking up with you, whispered, "Th-thank you."

You nodded in response, while giving a sad smile. Though she seemed to be extremely grateful for your assistance, you were anything but kind. Even though all of this was part of the contract you agreed to when joining the mafia, a small part of you seemed to regret it. Were you being selfish for accepting these terms? And even more so for second-guessing yourself? Shaking away the thought, you looked back to Sayu, who had drifted back to sleep, seeming to be comfortable with your presence.

Deciding it would be best that Sayu would be hydrated and fed after waking up, you went to grab food and water for her. Mello was seemingly waiting for you as you headed up, and started walking along with you.