Chapter 4

Everyone went quiet as they focused on Mello, waiting for him to share his plan. Taking his signature bite from a chocolate bar, he looked up to make sure he had everyone's attention.

"We are going to kidnap Kanichi Takimura, the director of the Japanese NPA. Once we have him, we'll keep him and look out for Kira's next move. He'll be leverage to exchange the notebook for. And of course, if this doesn't work out, we'll have to go to more extremes." Mello observed everyone in the room, seeing if they were taking his words seriously, while taking a second bite for dramatic effect.

They were. There was a mix of emotions throughout the area, some determined, while others in total shock. You weren't afraid of having to torture or potentially kill anyone, but you didn't want to do it unless necessary. A few years ago I would've been jumping up and down at the thought of torture, you thought.

After taking in all the expressions, Mello said, "Everyone clear? Good. Pedoro and Eddie, you two are in charge of the kidnapping. Find his location, and take him. I don't care what it takes." he swiftly got up, and walked towards the exit, no hesitation in his words.

It was interesting to see the contrast between how Mello was acting now, and how he was just minutes ago. You admired how he could be amiable, to select few, but also be determined. It was a good quality in a leader, whether he be an official one or not. If anyone were to catch Kira, it would be him.

Although you didn't have to do any of the dirty work this time, you were still prepared for it, if Mello needed anything from you. Even after years of retirement, your confidence in situations such as this was admirable.

Picking yourself up almost immediately, you adjusted your jacket and walked down the hall, towards your room. Since there wasn't much need for you at the moment, you decided to take your free time to your advantage and rest. As you walked down the hallway, you noticed Mello leaning against the wall, sighing as he bit into his chocolate.

"Endless supply, huh?" you asked as you went up to him.

"You could say that," he muttered.

"Something the matter?"

"What? Why would you think that? Nothing's wrong." he replied, almost defensively.

"I've been trained to understand people's emotions, you know. I can tell when someone's nervous."

Mello eyed you suspiciously, then shot up his hands in defense. "Alright. You got me. The truth is, I'm just worried. I mean, what if something goes wrong? Near's always one step ahead somehow. I don't know if I should be doing this."

Looking at him seriously, you said, "Stop caring so much about him, Mello. You should trust in your own abilities more. Maybe Near's one step ahead of you because you're always doubting yourself."

"I guess. Do you trust me, Y/N?"

"Of course I do," you replied, as you came closer to him. You brushed your lips against his cheek, and whispered, "I trust you, Mello."

His eyes widened from the interaction, then looked towards you. He pulled you in closer, and pressed his lips against yours. At first, you were in slight shock, but you let yourself melt into him. As you pulled apart, you stared at each other. He proceeded to pepper kisses down your jaw and neck, and you felt yourself begin to smile, holding onto him tightly.

"Boss?" you heard someone call out in the distance. Instantly the two of you broke apart, as Mello noticed another member, Skyer, walking down the hallway, seeming to be in a hurry.