Chapter 19

"The king wasn't satisfied with Doctor Clegg's diagnosis and wanted your father to look at Lady Lucia," Hammer went on. "His Majesty trusts—trusted—your father after he successfully treated Lady Miranda."

"He must have been disappointed when Theodore told him of my father's death."

He concentrated on his cup before drinking.

"Captain? What did the king say?"

"The king can be selfish. He can't often see beyond his own needs."

I took that to mean he wasn't entirely sympathetic, but more frustrated that my father was no longer at his service. That didn't strike me as a good quality for a king to have but I held my tongue. Hammer was too loyal to want to hear my opinion. "What did he say?" I asked again.

"He told Theodore to send for you. Theodore refused, telling him you're grieving. His Majesty then sought me out. I also refused to send for you."

"You came though."

"I wanted to make sure you're all right."

"You didn't have to."

His fingers stroked the cup. After a moment, he lifted it to his lips and drained the contents.

"But thank you," I said. "I appreciate it."

He set the cup down and stood. "I must go."

"I'm coming with you. Give me a moment to gather my things."

"No, Josie. You're grieving."

"That doesn't mean I can't be useful. I'm bored here, Captain. There's nothing to do except think, and right now, I don't want to think. Besides, I believe I know what might be ailing Lady Lucia."

His brows rose. "You do?"

"I'll need to see her to be absolutely certain."

"What is it?"

"I can't tell you," I said, heading to my father's workshop. I glanced at the desk and tried not to picture the way I'd found him that day, slumped forward, surrounded by his books and apparatus. I swallowed the ball of tears clogging my throat and picked up my pack. It already had the things I needed for this visit and I indicated to Hammer that I was ready.

"Do you suspect poisoning?" he asked as he opened the front door for me.

"No, but I will need to see her to completely rule it out." I locked the door and displayed the GONE FISHING sign.

Hammer waited for me by his horse. I would have to sit in front of him. I clutched my pack to my chest but handed it to him when he held out his hand for it.

"If her ailment is a threat to the king's safety, I'll have to insist you tell me," he said. "Patient confidentiality may be important to your profession, but saving the king's life is important to mine."

I smiled. A baby would not threaten the king's life, and his reputation would only be bolstered if it were his. Kings were lauded for their virility, even if their children were born out of wedlock. Commoners, on the other hand, were reviled. I may need to reassure Hammer and the king that he had nothing to fear if the test proved positive. They might not be aware of society's double standards.

Hammer assisted me onto the saddle then settled behind me. I was very aware of his presence and the stares from my neighbors. I nodded at Ivor Morgrain as we passed him walking along my street. He carried a clutch of wild flowers but it wasn't until he flung them onto the ground that I realized he was on his way to see me. Perfect timing. I did not want to be alone with Ivor. I'd already refused his offer of courtship last year, telling him my father needed me. I could no longer use that excuse.