Chapter 13

"I think it's wise not to expose yourself while the poisoner remains at court," I said. "I'm sure Captain Hammer will catch him very soon, but until then, you should take particular care when near those you dined with that night."

"Yes." She studied her hands as she twisted them in her lap. "I could tell from the captain's questions that he suspects one of them."

"Do you suspect anyone in particular?"

"What an impertinent question!"

"I'm sorry, my lady. Forgive me."

"I don't mind. I like impertinent people. I find the impertinent ones are the honest ones who'll tell me what's what. This place is sorely lacking in impertinence," she muttered. "As to your question, Josie, the duchess of Gladstow was nice to me, as were the duke and duchess of Buxton. You can discount them, I think. I hardly spoke to the duke of Gladstow, but Lady Lucia Whippler, her brother, and Lady Violette Morgrave were sweet, although I've heard they use their sharp tongues to cut others down to size, particularly women. A wicked wit doesn't make them murderers, though."

"Among my friends, a wicked wit does not equate to a sharp tongue used to cut down rivals. We call that cruel."

"Everything is different here." There was that tone again, the resigned one, as if she wished she were anywhere but at court.

Miranda got up and padded to the window then sighed. "I'm not used to this, you know."

"Being poisoned?"

She laughed softly. "Rubbing shoulders with nobility. We live quietly at home. We're somewhat out of the way, you see, and my father's title is quite new and not very highly ranked, so we rarely have other noble families visit us."

"That must be lonely."

"Not at all. I have friends amongst the villagers; the governor's daughter and the doctor's daughters. Perhaps that's why I feel I can talk to you, Josie."

"Please do. I won't tell a soul anything told to me in confidence."

"Ever since arriving here, I feel as though I have been on display, my every move and utterance judged."

"By the king?"

"By everyone."

"You wish you'd never come?"

She didn't answer. She didn't need to. I could see it in the lowering of her chin and the slope of her shoulders. I could hardly blame her. She had been poisoned, after all. "It's not my parents' fault, you understand. They were given no choice."

"They weren't?"

She shook her head. "The king demanded every eligible daughter of Glancia's noble families be presented to him so he could choose a wife from among them. My father felt as though he couldn't refuse, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think he wanted to. He wanted to meet the king for himself and discuss national matters with him. Not that he's had many opportunities to do so."

"Why only Glancia women?" I asked. "Wouldn't a foreign princess be more politically acceptable?"

"That was one of the things my father wanted to bring up with the king." She leaned closer to the window. "There's His Majesty now. He's walking with Lady Lucia. Her brother, Lord Frederick, isn't far away, of course. He never is."

I couldn't tell whether she knew about their incestuous relationship. I didn't dare ask.

I joined her at the window but didn't see the king, at first. I was too stunned by the view of the garden, sprawled like an intricate carpet on the opposite side of the palace to the main gate and its forecourts. It was far more serene, with only a few nobles strolling around. My gaze followed the pathways woven through the lush sections of lawn like elaborate embroidery. Colorful flowers edged some of the paths, and topiary trees and potted plants dotted the landscape. The sun glinted off ponds and lakes. One was so large I couldn't see where it ended. I caught sight of the king, heading slowly toward a fountain in the center of the nearest garden. A woman rested her hand on his arm, her head tilted toward him as if sharing a secret.