Proper

Riddle Manor [July 13th]

"Unfortunately, you're late."

Destiny tensed upon hearing her brother's words. Her fingers curled around the edge of the table as she saw her mother lean back in her chair haughtily.

Please don't cause a scene, Destiny thought wearily. She wasn't sure how Hadrian would react to Bella's blatant disrespect. She stared at her mother from across the table, but the angry witch seemed intent on avoiding her gaze, which hurt more than Destiny cared to admit.

"I'm afraid I was a little busy doing something else at the moment," Her mother said innocently. She accompanied the clearly untruthful statement with an equally fake, beaming smile that revealed her sharp teeth.

Destiny closed her eyes.

"Is that so?" Hadrian spoke so quietly, in a tone barely above a whisper. "What could you be doing that is more important than this meeting, Bella?"

Bellatrix tossed her hair back and smirked, "Rodolphus."

Destiny snapped her eyes open to look at her somewhat father-figure, who had paled immediately upon hearing his wife.

Rodolphus's eyes widened and darted over to Hadrian with a look of fear etched on his face. "I–We weren't–never–"

Hadrian held up a hand and Rodolphus immediately cut off his rambling, fixing his gaze onto the table in front of him instead.

"It seems your husband disagrees with you, Aunt Bella. Am I sensing some trouble in paradise?"

Bellatrix flinched at the endearment. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, "I'm afraid that is personal, dear Hadrian."

Hadrian abruptly stood up from his seat, and Destiny inhaled sharply. She looked up at Draco, who was pointedly looking down at his notes and various stacks of files. She tried to catch Daphne's eye but was met with a cold expression that might as well have been carved from ice, for it revealed nothing of her thoughts.

Almost instinctively, she began to slowly rise out of her seat, but her movements were quickly halted by a soft kick to her legs from underneath the table. She froze, tilting her head up to see Blaise staring her down. Discretely, he shook his head and Destiny held in a heavy sigh, turning to watch Hadrian with her fists clenched beneath the table.

Everyone followed his tall figure as he walked down the room, stopping to stand directly behind Bellatrix's seat. He casually leaned against the high-backed chair and smiled down at her tightly.

"I know had my father been standing here today, you wouldn't have dreamed of exhibiting such petulant behavior, Bellatrix. You know he would've cursed you within an inch of your life for even daring to think about being late," Hadrian murmured so softly, everyone else had to lean in to hear him.

"I suppose I could use the same punishments as my father," He continued, and Bellatrix stiffened as she felt the chaotic energy of his magic whip at her skin. It was hardly painful, but she swallowed uncomfortably regardless.

"But I've decided to use a different approach," Hadrian smirked, walking back over to the front of the room. Destiny's eyes widened, and she noticed the shock rippling through the rest of the followers seated at the table.

"You see, the people at this table are some of the few people I feel as though I can trust in our world today. It wouldn't do to have them constantly living in fear, would it?"

"N-No, young lord," Another death eater towards the middle of the table stuttered.

"That was a rhetorical question, but no matter," Hadrian chuckled. "I want to incentivize my followers to continue being loyal and honest with me. It would be a waste of my time to simply punish without also rewarding."