Gone

Riddle Manor [August 4th]

"You're slowing down, Draco! Move faster!" Hadrian yelled as he jabbed his wand in the air in precise movements. The sweat from his hair dripped into his eyes, making them burn every time he blinked. He'd already been hit with a variety of unfamiliar spells over the past few hours and he wasn't sure how much longer he could hold up his shield.

"I'm trying, mate," Draco grunted, already occupied with defending himself from the onslaught of spells being hurled at him, "In case you haven't noticed, it's rather difficult to attack and defend at the same time!"

Hadrian panted in response, too out of breath to form a coherent reply. His wand arm nearly collapsed with overexertion as he hit another target. Just when he was sure his knees would give out from sheer exhaustion, he heard a loud buzzing sound fill his ears.

He closed his eyes and dropped his wand on the grass, letting out a sigh of relief so loud he swore even Draco could hear it from across the field. He fell onto the ground, gripping the blades of grass for support because his body felt as though there was no energy, or even life left inside. From a quick glance to the side, he could see his best friend was in a similar position sprawled on the ground.

"That was exactly thirty four minutes," A sharp voice barked from the side, stepping one heeled boot right in front of his nose. Hadrian glanced up with bleary eyes, following the outline of the thin silhouette all the way up to the crazy curls atop her head.

"Bella–please­. We tried," He murmured, throwing an arm over his head in an attempt to block the sunlight that was pelting their sweaty bodies.

Bellatrix ripped the arm off his face, causing him to groan loudly. He felt like she had pulled his arm straight out of his socket with such a brutal movement. He stubbornly kept his eyes closed, however, unwilling to stand up and listen to her ranting. He didn't even have the stamina to breathe, let alone have a serious conversation about his dueling technique.

"Get up, Hadrian. You too, Draco," Bellatrix barked, her tone unyielding to their pitiful protests. She stomped over to where Draco had collapsed and proceeded to harass him, or so Hadrian presumed.

"Leave me alone, Aunt Bella!" Draco whined loudly after a few minutes, burying his face into the grass in an attempt to ignore the crazed woman poking his side with her pointed shoe, "I'm tired!"

Bellatrix rolled her eyes, "Do you think the Order cares if you're tired? Do you think they'll be waiting with biscuits and pumpkin juice if you faint from exhaustion in the middle of battle?"

Hadrian sighed, "That would be quite nice of them. Maybe they'll have some chocolate frogs too."

Bellatrix snapped her fingers loudly in front of his eyes, "Snap out of it! The Order will throw you in Azkaban or kill you on the spot if they ever catch you off guard!"

"We've been practicing all summer, can't we just have one break?" Draco groaned, trying to prop himself up on his elbows. "I can't feel my legs," He whimpered, "Why can't I feel my legs?"

Bellatrix rolled her eyes, "Maybe you should've tried to block that paralysis spell better!"

Draco's eyes widened comically, "You can't do this to me! I need my legs! My father will hear about this, and he'll kill you!"

"The spell only lasts for ten minutes, you idiot," She sneered, "And I'm not afraid of itty bitty Lucius. I'm not afraid of anyone." She paused and added, "Don't try to threaten me nephew, or I'll make sure that spell lasts longer next time."

"Mother," A voice called out suddenly, "What's going on here?"

Hadrian glanced up from his position on the grass in time to see Destiny sauntering into their practice arena wearing a dainty little white dress and actual ribbons in her hair. He growled under his breath.