Bonus Chapter - Sucrose's Ears

12:03 pm. Sucrose was busy experimenting, as usual. Then suddenly, she heard a knock on her door. One ear perked up at the sound of a single knock on her door. Sucrose stopped what she was doing and opened the door for whoever knocked. She guessed it could've been anyone, but she knew for sure it was Albedo.

As Sucrose approached the door, she twisted the knob and saw him. It was Albedo, obviously.

I knew it. But was he disturbed by the sounds I made while experimenting?

"Good afternoon! What can I do for you?"
Sucrose greeted with enthusiasm.

"I heard loud noises. I'm just checking if you're okay with experimenting and all."

"Oh, is that so? I'm fine really.."

"If you say so... by the way, all the loud sounds made me curious about what you were doing."

"Hmm... I was planning on letting you see my progress but I was just too caught up about what would happen next if I put this and that."
She gestured.

"I'm glad to see you improve a lot. And not only that, I'm glad to see that you're happy doing what you love."
Albedo chuckled softly and smiled.

Sucrose felt a slight sensation of heat building up in her cheeks, and couldn't help but make a small grin. She kept her small yet dorky smile — that was until she realized she was making that face in front of him. Sucrose cleared her throat and pushed her glasses further back.

"W-well then... let's not waste any more time, shall we?"

Albedo nodded. Sucrose allowed permission to let Albedo in her office, she closed the door behind Albedo. Sucrose sort of power walked back to her table and continued testing. Albedo was roaming around her office. He saw potions and bones neatly organized on her shelves. (Yeah, yeah, I noticed yesterday that Sucrose organizes her potions and bones in her voice lines. But let's just imagine that she doesn't have a literal Hilichurl in her office, okay?)

"I didn't know you started to collect bones for your research."
Albedo mentioned, observing a bone while holding his chin.

"I just think they're interesting."

A moment of silence went by, though it wasn't an awkward one.

"And.. project 967 test potion..."
Sucrose said as she squeezed a droplet on an item she was holding, which was a crystal core that she caught yesterday.

The droplet fell on the core and in an instant, Sucrose was given duplicates of the core. Sucrose exhaled a gasp of joy upon seeing how the potion worked. Her eyes sparkled, glistening brighter than the crystal core itself.

"Yes! It worked! I must write it down!"

Sucrose immediately grabbed her notebook and pen and began to write the successful experiment. Albedo noticed her and quietly approached the busy alchemist and decided to startle her to see her reaction.

"EEEK!! Wait what— huh?"

Albedo burst out laughing while Sucrose felt her ears burning up in embarrassment.

"W-why'd you do that?!"

It took Albedo a while for him to calm down.

"Sorry, I just wanted to see your reaction, and it was priceless!"
Albedo laughed as he wiped a tear.

"Hmph..!"

Sucrose just shrugged it off and continued.

"Well? How's your progress? You did tell me you want me to look, right?"