16 | the last twist

[ t h e l a s t t w i s t ]

♥ talisa ♥

"MAKING ME BLOODY run on the one day I wear six-inch heels. Men do not get it," I muttered, catching up with him. I had worn a satin blouse today with a black pencil that kept rising as I walked. I wasn't bothered but I knew that if the head of the sixth form caught me, I'd get dress coded again.

It wasn't my damn fault that I was one of the tallest girls in the year at 5 ft 11 and literally anything I wore ended up looking promiscuous.

Gabriel didn't slow down and kept walking towards the hall. I matched his pace with ease, a mere inch below him.

"So?" I questioned. He didn't respond until I pressed to shut the main door to the dining hall and stopped him from entering. It forced him to look at me.

He tensed his jaw impatiently. "Yes?"

"How was it?" I knew that Lexi and Gabriel were in the same class for English which meant she was too.

"Fine."

He placed his hand on mine to remove it.

"Fine, what?"

"Fine fine."

I let out an exasperated sound of annoyance and I could have sworn a ray of forgotten humour blossomed momentarily in his eyes. It disappeared too fast for me to verify whether it was actually there.

"Gabriel. Come on."

He took the opportunity to push the door open and stride forward.

Around three dozen people were already in the hall, seated at the round tables and awaiting food to be served to them. My fingers twitched impatiently as I followed him in.

I was on edge and I knew it wasn't because of the pills I'd taken an hour ago.

The central table that we always sat on was still in the same place, situated on a slight step and adorned in a crisp white tablecloth. Arlo, Ash, Prince, Lexi, Gabriel and I always sat on it yet I didn't know what was going to happen today.

What I did know was that my damn name wasn't Talisa Lisin if I was expected to sit down with Lexi, Prince and her eating pink pieces of salmon and playing pat-a-cakes. The unlikeliness of that happening was fatter than the number of family issues I had, and trust me, there were a lot.

What I also knew was that there was no way I was going to move to another table.

That only left one option.

"Let's sit down," I said glancing at the unoccupied table.

"Obviously," he said coldly, pulling the lapels of his blazer. "Unless you want to start working in the damn kitchen, in which case be my guest. You can't cook for shit but you'd probably be better than Tony."

"I can cook-"

I paused, thinking about my attempt at pancakes a week ago.

The fire alarm was set off.

"If I tried," I rolled my eyes, taking my maroon jacket off and putting it on the back of the chair. Resting my head on my arms, I leant forward and silently watched him with my green eyes, trying to read him.

By now, it came pretty easily yet today, I could tell he was trying especially hard to not show his emotions. It was that, or he was feeling nothing.

Also a possibility.

Arlo entered next clad in a navy blue suit. He went to take his seat at the circular table - leaving a space between him and me for where Ash always sat.