Chapter 65

==Ashton's POV==

Michael's not saying 'I told you so' anymore. He's not saying anything at all.

We're all sitting in the emergency room -- him, Cooper, and me. Michael hasn't cried, but he also didn't have to see her like that. He's doing his best to stay calm while I nearly break his hand by squeezing it so tight.

I haven't stopped crying. All I'm thinking about is how we're sat out here, perfectly fine, while Maddie's getting her stomach pumped, or getting stitches, or having tests done on her. It makes me sick.

Cooper, though, is just like Michael. He's stopped crying, but he looks like he's about to punch the wall. His jaw is clenched so tight he might break it.

I wipe my eyes and pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time. It's 5am and not a single person has come out to update us on her condition. I also haven't eaten in forever, or slept, but I can't do either.

In a few hours, I'll have to tell my mom why I'm not at home. It hasn't gotten any easier for me to even consider saying what happened. I mean, it's bad enough as it is, but the fact that it's my fault makes the weight of it ten times heavier.

Michael face-plants into my shoulder, closing his eyes. My stomach growls and I watch the door, waiting for someone to come out of it. She has to be okay. They have to tell me she's okay.

"I want a hot chocolate," he mumbles, breaking the silence.

"Then go get a hot chocolate," I say, letting my eyes flutter shut. My body is exhausted, but my mind is definitely not. It won't be able to let me sleep until I know that she's okay.

"You've kind of got me in a death grip," Michael chuckles. It's an empty laugh, but it still makes me mad. How can he laugh at all right now? Or think about hot chocolate?

I let go of him, making a dramatic movement out of bringing my hand away from his. He gives me a worried look before getting up and walking to the shitty coffee machine.

"That kid's a freak," Cooper remarks.

"I heard that," Michael grumbles, shoving his money into the machine. I pull the skin under my eyes down, willing myself to stay awake.

Cooper takes his own phone out and stares at it. Randomly, he flings it across the room and it clatters against the floor.

He shows no sign of fear for his screen breaking or of getting up to get it. He just sits back, shaking his head.

"Why did I think she would give a shit?" he says before I can ask, "She doesn't."

"Who?" I ask, "Lily?"

He nods and I pull my feet up, hugging my legs. I rest my chin on my knees, closing my eyes and shaking my head. Now I just want to go to sleep.

I can't hold it against him for thinking a girlfriend of four years would care about his sister potentially dying. I just don't want to think about that bitch right now.

Definitely not right now.

Michael plops down next to me and I peak at him. He looks more exhausted than I feel and has his sleeves pulled up over his hands, gripping the hot chocolate like it's the only thing he has to keep him warm.

I sink lower in my seat. I can't believe I thought for that split second that he, somehow, didn't care right now.

"She told me you guys were probably going to date," Cooper says, his voice flat.

"Okay, that's such bullsh--"

"Lily and Milly helped each other out because Milly wanted to be with your ass for some reason," Michael gives Cooper a once-over, scowling, "And Lily wanted to f*ck Ashton."