A Long Week

A week goes by and I haven't heard from Harry once. After our not a date day, he dropped me off at my apartment and said, "I'll see you later." I'm not sure what his definition of later is, but it's definitely later and...crickets.

By Wednesday I considered texting him, but I didn't know what to say and after a few hours of typed but not sent texts, I gave up and decided if he wants to talk to me, he'll talk to me.

It's been a busy week at work which has, thankfully, taken my mind off of the situation. But it's Saturday now and I'm running out of distractions.

I know since I was the one who insisted it wasn't a date, I shouldn't care that he hasn't texted me and I have no idea if I'll ever see him again, but I care. How could anyone spend a day with Harry and not care if they ever see him again?

Did I act like I didn't care and didn't think he was funny too much? I wanted to seem mysterious and cool, but maybe I overdid it.

Thankfully, Ryan insisted we have lunch today so I have one more hour of avoiding my thoughts about Harry. That is if the topic doesn't come up.

Unfortunately, if I know anything about Ryan, it probably will come up.

He's already sitting at a table with food when I walk in the door, so I walk over to the table to set down my bag before I go to order my food at the counter.

"So you didn't die?" Ryan says as I approach the table.

I roll my eyes immediately and reach into my bag to get my wallet.

"Hello to you too," I say.

"Let me see your phone," Ryan demands as I'm setting my bag back on the chair across from him. I give him a questioning look but hand him my unlocked phone anyway. He taps his finger on the screen a few times then shows me all of his texts I didn't answer this week on the screen. "And I see your phone works too."

"You know I'm horrible at answering texts sometimes. It's been a busy week at work," I answer with a huff, taking my phone back from him. We'll just ignore the fact that that was mostly a lie.

"Was it really a busy week or are we just avoiding our problems?" I bite my bottom lip knowing he picked up on my real reason for the radio silence this week. So much for the lie. "Uh huh, thought so. Now go order your food so we can talk about this."

I give him a pointed look then turn to head to the counter. There's no line and the cafe is pretty empty so in less than five minutes I've ordered, picked up my food, and am heading back to the table where Ryan is sitting, typing away on his phone.

I sit down and immediately start eating and checking my phone, hoping to evade Ryan's questions a little longer. But of course, my (un)lucky day is continuing.

"So fill me in on what happened last Saturday after our call," Ryan says, now giving me his undivided attention... unfortunately.

I think for a minute, but know I'm gonna have to answer his questions at some point so I take a deep breath and start explaining, "We got food at some cafe and ate it on the beach, then we drove around for a while and walked around this cute park with a bunch of local art. After that, we went back to his house, ordered takeout, and had a movie night."

"Okay so what's the problem?" he asks.

"I like him," I blurt out, voicing the bigger problem than him not texting me. "Not like I liked him before I met him, but like really really actually like him and I barely know him, but I like him and that can't happen right now. And I haven't heard from him in a week so it's probably a moot point because he's already bored of me. It shouldn't matter, though; the only boys allowed in my life this year are you and my favorite yoga instructor."