(10) Arden's Water Ski with River

dedicated to volumnous for the banner on the side! thanks doll it's so pretty xxx

SHOUTOUT TO FAIRYGARDEN'S STORY lobello! GO CHECK IT OUT GUYSSS THE IDEA IS SUPER COOL AND IT LOOKS LIKE AN AMAZING STORY! SHE'S ALSO A TALENTED GRAPHIC DESIGNER :)

///////////////////////////////////////////

"Hey," a hoarse voice calls out from the dark. I leap off the ground, startled. A figure steps into the dim lights of the string lanterns. It was the same guy who had spoke. He fit his voice; tall, dark and handsome. He has hair so blonde, it almost looked white, and a lip piercing that reflected the light off.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you." He smiles like a Cheshire cat, and for some reason, I feel like a prey and like he is a predator. Maybe it's because of the way he looks me up and down in my glittery aqua green dress, or how he eyes the few tendrils that had escaped my fancy updo.
"I'm Alex, what's your name?"

Gasping, I awake. Sometimes, I get dreams like this. Flashbacks of my life and memories I try so hard to keep at bay. I'm disgruntled as I get up and head to my bathroom. Cringing, I frown at my reflection in the mirror. Sweat lines my forehead and my hair is a frizzy mess, probably from how much I roll over.

After I leave the bathroom, I tie my hair in a donut bun and stay in my dress shirt, even though it's like eleven in the morning. I don't think I've ever woken up this late, at least not in a long time. That's why when I head to my Dad's room, he seems worked up.

"What's up, Dad?" I ask after he opens the door that conjoins our rooms.
"Arden, are you sick? Are you okay?" Dad fusses over me, feeling my forehead.
"Dad, jeez! I'm fine, I just woke up a little late today. My muscles felt a little sore from swimming, that's all." Techinally, I wasn't lying. My body felt all kinds of worked up after yesterday's sky dive. I still can't believe I've done this. I can hardly believe how boring my life was before River came along, as cheesy as that sounds. My life can never go back to how it was before.

"Are you sure? You're spacing out." Dad waves a hand in front of my face.
I laugh nervously. "Yep, I'm fine." I head inside the room and sit down on the cushion chair.
"Okay, honey. You should go down to Leroy and Marla since you missed our breakfast." He smoothed down my hair and I leaned in his touch.
A gentle smile stretches across my face. "Alright, daddy. Thank you."

It's midday when I'm at the kitchen, eating a vanilla cupcake. Yes, it's not the typical breakfast, but it's my breakfast. Marla and Leroy have disappeared after Marla made me this yummy dessert. They were awfully giggly and acting quite strange. I have no idea what their up to, but I have no idea what they were to. No good, that's guranteed.

Alone, my mind races back to Alex. I don't know what's wrong with me these days; plaguing myself with thoughts of my so-called mother and Alex. At least, with my mum, I don't have to worry because there are no memories to spare. No warm hugs, girly talks or motherly advice. I can't even think of her for long because I literally have nothing to think of. Only blame and rage and triviality.

But with Alex, it was completely different. There are hundreds of images that flash in my head when I think of Alex. Images of rumpled sheets and writhing bodies and detached cuddling. Shame always accompanied those images. I couldn't help but feel easy and, well, slutty. I gave my virginity to a total stranger and slept with him numerous times. Did I regret it? Maybe, but I guess a part of me fell for him and that I could never really regret.

"Oh gosh, Arden, you're alive!" I snap out of my day dreams to find River stuffing a cookie in his mouth.
"What are you talking about?" I inquire as I lick the icing off my fingers.
"You haven't came to my room and woke me up like a mad woman and when I knocked on yours, nobody answered the door! I stayed for like 10 minutes until your dad was leaving and I almost got busted. Then I looked for you at the pool and the beach and-"
"River, shut up," I breath, pushing my hand over his mouth. He looks bemused at my outburst, eyes widening at my hand. Then, he does the most immature thing; he licks it. "Ew!"