Chapter Twenty-Two

Kael was just barely awake by the time he returned to Zed’s. Everyone else had gone to sleep, leaving the reception dark and quiet, so Kael moved carefully across the room and up the stairs. What Cecile had told him was still turning over in his head and he wasn’t quite sure what he was going to do about it.

It hadn’t come as a surprise what the blood bracelets were designed for, because he had noticed the awareness he had gained of Taryn, her whereabouts, her emotions, after they were bound, but he had never suspected that the connection could cause her harm because of his demonic ability.

Upstairs Kael went to his room, the door shut, and again the sight, feel, sensation of kissing Taryn flashed into his mind. He pushed open the door.

And found Taryn’s bed empty.

Kael rushed back out, opening Taryn’s bedroom door and found Eljae in the bed opposite Taryn’s. She shot up quickly, her cat-eyes wide and bright in the darkness. 

She’s not there, thought Kael, heading for Zed’s and banging his fist on the door. ‘Zed!’ he called.

The door opened a moment later, revealing a scruffy, grumpy-looking Zed. ‘What do you want?’

‘Taryn’s gone,’ said Kael.

‘What?’

‘Taryn’s gone!’

Zed pushed him out of the way and marched back down the hall, glancing once into Taryn’s own room just as Eljae appeared at the doorway, and then looked into Kael’s room.

‘She’s not there,’ said Zed, as if he had expected that Kael hadn’t looked hard enough.

Ace appeared out of his room next, then Cora. ‘Did I just hear that Taryn is missing?’ he asked. ‘Again?

Eljae walked out into the hall, sniffing the air. ‘I can’t even smell her. Why wouldn’t I have heard her leaving?’

‘I can’t smell anything either,’ Zed added.

‘Doorway?’ suggested Ace.

The last bedroom – Eljae’s old room – opened and Seth walked out. ‘It isn’t a Doorway, I’d be able to tell.’

Kael couldn’t stop himself. He crossed the hall in a few short steps and grabbed a fistful of Seth’s shirt threateningly. ‘Everything got worse after you showed up,’ he said, pushing Seth back against the wall. ‘How do we know this isn’t yours or Bennett’s fault?’

Seth didn't flinch. 'I'm not here on Bennett's order and I would never hurt her,' he said calmly but with a quiet fierceness that Kael understood. He saw the expression on Seth's face that he recognised as an expression he wore himself, like when he had told Cecile that he didn’t curse Taryn. 

Zed came up to Kael's side, gently easing Kael's fist from Seth's shirt. 'I don't like Immortals either, Kael, but I know he isn't at fault here. I'd know if he was – this is my house.' 

Kael stepped away from Seth, but his eyes were still narrowed. 'Who are you to her?' 

He adjusted his shirt, then said, 'I've known Taryn since she was thirteen. Julius wasn't the only one to be assigned to protect her.'

'Is Taryn an Immortal?' Eljae asked. 'She certainly doesn't smell like one.' 

Seth shook his head. 'I don't know what she is.'

'You're lying,' said Eljae. 

And if Eljae thought someone was lying, then they were.

Coranna broke the tension with an irritable sigh. 'I'm going to bed.'