CHAPTER SIXTEEN

After the whole dojo commotion, Eli, or Hawk as he now preferred, sent Flossie a saddened text— he couldn't sneak out tonight because his mom was infuriated with him for lying about why he was skipping school... and the Mohawk.

Flossie was a little upset, but alas she understood, it's a big shock, and a definite change from the Eli they were used too. Part of the girl worried about Demetri's impending reaction. She knew this would be everything he hated— more attention, confidence and change. Demetri hated change.

The girl could remember a handful of times when Flossie would cut her long hair short, or suggest a new movie to watch, and every time Demetri was so annoyed with her wanting to change things. He liked the way they were, right now, through and through.

Her scrambled mind was interrupted by a ding from a notification on her phone.

One New Text Message:
Miguel🥋🐍: You know how Sensei Lawrence says we have to strike first? I'm gonna do it.

Flossie🌸: Do what?!

Miguel🥋🐍: I'm gonna ask Sam out.

Flossie🌸: Miguel...
Flossie🌸: Are you sure that's a good idea? Kyler just spread that nasty rumor about her... she's dropping in social status so she'll become desperate and she's gonna use you.

Miguel🥋🐍: No, you don't get it! She's actually really funny and nice and smart.
Miguel🥋🐍: Me and Demetri sat with her in Bio and I think I really like her.

Flossie🌸: You know you're my friend, Miguel. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just looking out for you.
Flossie🌸: I know you like her, but I don't want to see you get hurt by her. You saw what she did to Aisha.
Flossie🌸: She tossed her aside when she got something better. I doubt she changed within the span of the week just because her "popular" friends dropped her.

Miguel🥋🐍: I appreciate it, Floss. But I think I'm gonna do it. I just wanted to let you know... I couldn't talk about this stuff with Demetri or Eli or my mom or anything.

Flossie🌸: I hope it goes well for you, Miguel. Good luck. Thanks for trusting me.
Flossie🌸: I'm rooting for you!!
Flossie🌸: Cobra Kai forever🐍🤞🏼 Strike First, Strike Hard. She'd be an idiot not to like you too.

Flossie locked her phone, sighing as she placed it onto her chest. Miguel had trusted her? She almost felt bad. It had always been just her and Demetri and Eli, and now it was starting to feel like she wasn't returning the friendship to Miguel.

The girl hadn't trusted people easily— it took her three years to completely trust Demetri and Eli with everything. And here Miguel was, spilling his trust into her, and she couldn't reciprocate.

She needed to get over this fear. Get over the fear of letting herself be happy, letting herself trust. Miguel was a nice kid, and a good friend, so why was it so hard?

Maybe because Flossie knew what trust meant, it meant you had something to lose. Flossie already had two great things in her life— Demetri and Eli, and that was already a lot to lose.

Now she was getting wrapped up in new friendships, karate, and a possible relationship, and it scared her. It scared the hell out of her. She didn't want to have a lot, because she was scared to see it go, leaving her crushed and heartbroken.