CHAPTER FIVE

It had been hours since Flossie got home from the dance, and she was clad in only a set of pajamas.

It was 12:43 and the girl sat in her front yard watching the waning crescent moon rise in the slate black sky, spitting out the sweet peach pits when the flavor was gone.

Gnats attacked the fruit strewn out on the freshly mowed grass under Flossie's feet, that were dangling from the hood of her old man's rusted Ford.

The truck was beat up and broken, like her brother's stupid cat's tail when he rode over it with his banana bike, and made a horrid noise every time she moved an inch.

October is a strange feeling. Pumpkins with twisted smiles sit on every doorstep, the misty Autumn air condenses fragrances of sap and hot apple cider. Crisp winds shake the tree limbs and clouds roll over a section of stars.

She called out to her father through the open window of the living room to tell them that something amazing was happening up there.

Stepping out, he shaded his eyes from the porch light and searched the sky. Her father looked and looked before he turned the garden hose onto a butterfly bush. He scolded her to, "get the hell off the car," then the old man grumbled about missing something on TV.

He made a face when some mud splashed his house slippers. "How you bother," he said for the last time, picking up the candy bowl from the middle porch step then closing the screen door behind him.

Flossie slid off the truck, with a fistful of aluminum— the flashlight she found on the shelf in the garage. She rolled it in her fingers and hit it against her palm a few times before it was brought to life.

Standing at the side of her new (used) bike, she reach for the handle bars -- the sadness slumped away.

Flossie flicked up the kickstand of her Schwinn, speeding off down the street with her useless mirror bouncing up and down.

She stopped at the old oak at the end of the street, climbing the small wooden ladder attached and flickering the light into the bedroom window adjacent.

A head peered out of the curtains clutching a flashlight of his own "you do know it's like one in the morning? So what's the emergency?"

"I saw a falling star!"

"That's the emergency?" He asked exasperated, "I thought we agreed that three flashes is for when your old man's of his rocker or you-"

"Oh, shut it and come out here. You'll thank me when you see how clear the sky is." Eli sighed, climbed out the window, and gave her the same look he always does when she has a bad idea.

"You know, I hate that you're right sometimes."

Flossie smiled at him proudly as the two sat on the branch of the tree outside his bedroom window. "You didn't come over," she stated observingly. He gave her a confused glance. "After the dance, you didn't come over," she said again.

"Why would I?" Eli almost whispered, still looking to the sky of stars— shattered glass on a black canvas.

Flossie gave a crooked look to her friend. "I wanted to talk to you," she confessed.

"How was I supposed to know that," he joked. "Was I supposed to read your mind?"

She laughed lightly, shrugging. "Would've been nice," she mused humorously.

The two sat in a comfortable silence, staring at the stars for a few moments before Eli cleared his throat suddenly. "So, what did you want to talk about?" He asked, playing with his fingers nervously.

Flossie fell nervous now too, preparing herself for what she was about to admit. She had finally decided enough was enough, and she wasn't going to pretend to not like the boy anymore.

After staring at the pictures they took for a few minutes, and then wishing on that falling star, she had built up enough courage to come here and tell him. Now all she had to do was say it.

"Eli," she started slowly. "I-I," she stuttered out, unsure how to let the words form on her tongue. She looked down at her dangling legs, trying to catch her breath.

"Are you okay?" He asked kindly, placing an arm around her to steady her composure.

She nodded shortly, still trying to find the words to say. "I-," she started again. "I just wanted to say that I'm happy to have you as a best friend. Couldn't ask for anyone better," she chickened out.

Eli still smiled though, but his heart stung a little bit at the words. Best friend. That's all he was. He needed to get that through his head.

"Me too, Flo," he grinned. "Me too."

Flossie grimaced, mentally kicking herself for not just spitting it out. But alas, just leaned into her best friend's embracing, enjoying the time they did have forever. "You know I'll always be here for you. Right, Eli?" She questioned, leaning her head against his shoulder.

Eli's heart fluttered, holding his arm around her tighter. "I know," he said quietly.

She had always looked out for him, even when it got her involved in situations she would rather not be in the middle of. But she did it for him, because he couldn't do it for himself.

Eli hoped one day he could gain the confidence to stand up for himself, and that way he could repay Flossie for everything she's done by looking out for her instead.