Chapter 7 - Alive

[Unedited]

<>Natsu<>

I punched the bed angrily, sending a dust cloud poofing up in the air. Happy watched me concernedly from the table as he munched on a fish.

I turned around, ‘I’m not crazy.’

‘Lucy’s dead, Natsu,’ Happy said bluntly, a glum edge to his voice. ‘You’re just sad.’

‘I’m not!’ I protested. ‘I saw her! Ava saw her too! She’s one of Ava’s spirits.’

Happy sighed and put down his fish, ‘Ava said a guy punched you really hard, and you’re probably delirious.’

I growled and sat down, frustrated. With my guild mates, with Ava, and with myself. Why did no one believe me when I said Lucy was alive? Why would I lie after three years of sadness?

Happy stared at me as if he wanted to say something, but kept his mouth shut. We sat there in silence as the waning moon began its long ascent to dominate the night sky. Moonbeam flashed across the covers of the bed, causing the pink sheets to shine ever so slightly.

As the blue exceed returned to his dinner, I ran through scenarios in my mind, any way to prove I wasn’t crazy or lying. I saw Lucy. But if Ava wasn’t going to side with me, I had no evidence.

‘Lucy,’ I murmured under my breath. I felt something damp on my cheek but pushed the thought aside. ‘Where are you?’

A golden glow suddenly filled the apartment, from a source other than moon outside. I turned my gaze upwards where a column of bright light shimmered into existence. A form began to take shape of a girl with blonde hair and brown eyes, star brands on her face, leg and hand.

Happy’s jaw dropped open as the light died down and Lucy smiled. I jumped up instantly and tackled her in a hug.

‘Kyaa!’ she squealed. ‘Can’t breath, Natsu.’

‘You’re not allowed to,’ I told her. ‘I’m going to hug you to death.’

She pat me on the back and chuckled, ‘I’ve died once, its not an experience I’d like to go through a second time.’

Considering that, I relinquished my tight grip of her. I held her at arms length and examined her face. Her blonde hair gleamed white in the moonlight, and the dark blue pattern of stars on her face stood out stark against her pale skin.

‘I missed you,’ I said.

She smiled and nodded, ‘I’ve missed you too. But for the record, I’ve been watching you, for three years. Every day.’

‘L-Lucy?’

Happy’s small, cracked voice broke into our reunion. I dropped my hands from Lucy’s shoulders as she turned to the exceed with a huge beam.

‘Happy,’ she gushed. ‘Long time no see. You’re bigger that you were three years ago. You and Carla dating yet?’

The cat’s bottom lip flopped over as tears fell in a waterfall down his face.

‘LUCY!’

He shot at her, burying his head in her chest and crying loudly onto her dress. Lucy held him tightly and allowed him to bawl. She looked up at me and smiled, cradling my long time best friend in her arms.

‘I saw what happened,’ she said sadly, ‘No one believes you.’

I lowered my head, ‘They all think I’m lying. Or I’m crazy.’

‘But that’s why I’m here,’ Lucy replied. ‘So I can prove that you’re not. I’ll come with you to Fairy Tail tomorrow and everyone can see for themselves.’