Chapter 23

Okay, leaving Cassie and trying to make a dramatic exit, may just be my downfall.  I had no idea where I was going or how to get from the unused portion of the castle to the more lived in part.  Was that the right was to describe it? Probably not.  I had been wandering about twenty minutes when I heard a few far away strands of music.  Finally.

I came around the corner and saw a few liveried guards at the front doors.  I stepped forward a few steps.  When they began to turn toward me, I ducked into the closest room available.  It was an amazing library.  There were shelves everywhere filled top to bottom with books. 

"My Uncle has always had a love for books and history."  Skylar said closing the door behind him with a thud.  My hands automatically fluttered up to my chest in surprise.

"Do not be alarmed.  I wouldn't dream of hurting you."  He said stepping forward causing me to take a step back.

"Why are you here?"  I finally asked, managing at last to find my voice.

"It's a family dinner.  I am, after all, family."  He said taking another step toward me.

I put my hand up to stop his forward progress.  I knew what I said to Cassie, but being in this close proximity was terrifying.  A light bulb went off inside my brain.  Cassie, Cassie, I am in the library.  I need you.  Skylar is here.  I hoped she heard me and came.  She was probably as pissed as I was at myself right now, and turned her thought reading ability off.

Skylar reached his hand out and rubbed the back of his index finger across my cheek.  I shivered, but in a completely different way than I did when Eain did things like that.

"I knew you liked me, Ariana.  You just have to give me a chance."  Skylar stated proudly.

"She most definitely does not like you, Cousin."  Cassie said stepping into the library.

Skylar spun around to face Cassie.

"Cassandra, I should have known you would show up."

"I think it's time you scurry off.  That witch you brought with you is beyond annoying."

"Okay, i'm leaving.  This is not over.  Ariana, you will see I am the better choice."  Skylar stated exiting the library.

I drooped in relief when he exited the room. Cassie rushed forward to give me an arm to lean on.

"Are you okay, Ari?"  Cassie asked concerned.

"Yes, I am sorry.  I should have never rushed off, knowing he was in the castle."  I apologized.

"It's alright.  I gave you too much information.  Dominic was right.  I should have kept my big mouth shut."

"Thank you for coming."

"Anyway, Skylar knows better than to be in here.  The book is in here."  She stated.

"The book?  The one with the prophecy?"  I asked.

"The one and only.  Well, the one of two."  She laughed at her own joke.

"May I?"  I asked wanting more than anything to look at the book.  To gaze at the thing that had turned my once quiet life upside down.

"Of course."  Cassie guided me to the back corner of the library, where a bookshelf stood.  She placed two fingers on it, while still supporting me and pushed.  The bookshelf slid twelve feet and an opening appeared.

"It's been awhile since anyone has been in here, i'm afraid."  Cassie stated ushering me into the opening.  It was dusty and smelled stale.  There on a wooden pedestal and under glass stood the book.

I stepped out from Cassie's embrace and up to the glass.  It was here in front of me.  In black and white.

"This isn't all about me is it?"  I asked.  The book had to be at least a thousand pages and there was no way I had done that much in my short life.

"No.  It chronicles the vampire history.  Any time something changes pages appear or disappear.  Look, see these here.  This was Eain's time with Terrina."  She said pointing to pages that looked to have been burnt.

"CASSIE!"  A bellow bounced around the room, coming from the intercom system.

"Well, time to go."  She said pulling me out of the alcove.  Once she pushed the bookcase back into place, she turned me to face her.  She brushed a cobweb from my shoulder and smiled at me lovingly.

"All better."  Cassie stated and started toward the library door.

I followed behind her a few paces.  I had seen the book.  I had convinced myself that it did not really exist and this was a dream I could not wake from. 

As soon as we stepped out of the library Sarah appeared.  She was wearing a slim grey dress and her blonde curls were piled on top of her head.

"Girls!"  Sarah exclaimed.  Hugging each of us.  She seemed a little uptight and that wasn't normal for Sarah at all.

"Sarah, where have you been all day?"  I asked.

"Oh, you know me.  Helping with this and that.  A witches work is never done."  She said smiling.  She kept peering behind me which made me turn to look also.  Nothing was there, only a darkened corner into a hall that led to who knows where.  Sarah grabbed my hands and started pulling me behind her in the opposite direction.  Something was nagging at me in the back of my mind, telling me to go to the darkened hallway.  That was the last thing you should probably do in a vampire's castle.

"Sarah, what is going on?"  Cassie and I asked at the same time.

"Nothing."  She said batting her blue eyes at us.

"That doesn't work."  Cassie said.  She and Sarah started arguing about trying to keep secrets from mind reading vampires.  While they were busy I started toward the hall.  They weren't that far away if I needed them and I couldn't stop myself besides.

I had just made it to the corner when Sarah yelled:  "Ariana, don't!"

I stood in shock.  Eain stood before me his wide back all I could see.  I could tell that someone was in front of him pushed against the wall.  When Sarah yelled, he turned and looked at me.  In front of him was Cecelia Cross.  Oh, how I burned with hatred for that bitch.  Her blonde hair was a mess and her lipstick smeared.  I tilted my head at Eain and saw he wore the same shade.

"I-Ariana?"  He questioned looking confused.  My hand went unconsciously to my neck, where he had bitten me earlier.  Sarah and Cassie were now behind me.

"Eain, how could you?"  Cassie screeched.  I put my hands over my ears and ran.