Chapter I

"You can't spell 'families' without the word 'lies'. It just isn't possible." - Irina Petrov (Anastasia Asher)

Chapter One:

The wind was knocked out of her when Vladimir’s fist rammed straight into her stomach. A scream left her lips as she scrunched her face up in pain. The last of her blond hair that was in a bun came out in messy waves; her elastic fell to the floor. Her blue eyes shot up to look at him. Anger and agony could be seen in her pupils. Vladimir ran a hand through his blond hair, slicking it back.

“Irina,” he hissed out to her. His face was so close to hers that she could smell the thick smoke on his breath. He had always been a smoker even though she’d urged him to stop his addiction. It would calm his nerves. “Who did you tell?” he questioned.

A smirk tugged on her lips as she spat out saliva at him. The blond haired man wiped it off of his face while his partner, Alexander, tightened his grip on her back. She groaned as her spine made a disgusting crack.

Swiftly, Vladimir punched her once again in the stomach. She cried out as some blood ran down her lip this time. The taste of the salty liquid filled her mouth and she tried desperately to spit it out. A couple of tears ran down her face. She bit her lip. She was taught never to cry, no matter how much pain. But this…this was unbearable.

Vladimir’s hands cupped her face. “Irina, this can be less painful than it needs to be. So just answer the question.” He leaned into her. “Who did you tell?” he hissed.

She threw her head back and laughed at him. When her eyes looked at him once again he looked as if he wanted to kill her. “Your breath smells like smoke,” she barked out rudely.

An angered look crossed his face. Vladimir made a clicking sound with his tongue. The male’s blue eyes looked into hers. He got onto his knees and held her waist. “Irina,” he whispered. “Please, please, just tell me what I want to know. Who did you tell and where is all the money?”

“I hate you,” she snapped.

Quickly, she forced herself down into a split. Her body moved in between Alexander’s legs and behind him. Her hands reached for the knife that was held onto her belt. She jumped up and stabbed Alex in the back. The knife was then dragged down his spine. A scream came from his lips as blood spurted over her pale skin.

Her blue eyes locked onto Vladimir’s as he watched his best friend fall to the ground. He pulled out the gun and pointed it at her face.

“You make one more move and you die. I am your older brother and you will respect me!” he shouted.

A grin crossed her lips, “You aren’t my brother anymore.”

A gunshot rang out into the night.

The sound of Irina’s screams could be heard throughout the whole house as Natasha pulled the metal bullet from her mid-section. A burning feeling ran down her spine as the brunette poured vodka on the wound so that she could numb it. The clinking of metal entered Irina’s ears. Moments later she felt the piercing of a knife. The blond girl cried out in agony as her friend picked at her flesh.

“S-stop!” the young girl hissed at Nat as she carved out the bullet with a knife.

Natasha gave one last thrust with her knife. The piece of metal that was above her belly button came out. Irina had felt her heart skip a beat. Her breathing became unsteady and she was hyperventilating. The fourteen year-old knew that the worst was about to come.

The brunette got up from Irina’s side, cleaning her knife of the girl’s blood. “You shouldn’t have gotten yourself into this mess,” Nat quickly told Irina in a motherly tone. She tossed the knife over on the plate of medical tools. “You are stupid just like your mother; to mess with the mafia…such a dumb idea!”