Chapter 1

In all of your 19 years of living, you had never imagined yourself to be in this situation.

"So, what's your final decision?" a figure asked, while lighting a cigarette.

Leaving for work this morning, you opened the door to be greeted by an old friend. Startled by his sudden appearance after years of silence, you slightly jumped backwards.

After studying him for a few moments, you noticed he had gotten a bit taller, but that was the only noticeable change. Other than that, he was still sporting his dark hair, striped tee, and baggy jeans.

"So you still smoke, huh?" you laughed. "I thought you were gonna quit,"

"The only lie I'll ever tell." he chuckled. "Listen, I didn't come here just to see you. I wanted to request you in person. Have you thought about my offer?"

A few weeks ago, you had received a call from an unknown number asking if you wanted to join the mafia. At first, you thought it was a prank call, but then you recognized the voice.

"Mail?" you whispered.

"Hey, Y/N. I go by Matt now."

"Is this some sort of joke? Why're you calling me?"

"No, it's nothing like that. It's just that, well, I think you could be a valuable asset to our team."

"Mail- uh, Matt, you know stopped with that business. I'm not interested anymore." 

"Just think about it, okay?"

You sighed, knowing your answer was a definite no.

"Fine."

Snapping your attention back to Matt now, you said, "I'm still thinking."

"Alright. Well, I really hope you do join. As I said, you'd be a great asset to our team."

"I don't know. It's been a long time."

Taking a few steps closer, he whispered in your ear, "Do you know about Kira?"

"Kira? As in the Japanese serial killer?"

"That's the one. Mello, I mean my boss, seems interested in it."

"Why would your mob boss want to deal with someone like that? There's not even money involved."

"I don't know, something about a notebook and death."

This sparked your interest. "You know what, maybe I'll come with you. Just to, you know, test the waters."

Matt's head shot up. "Really?"

"Don't take it as a yes," you chuckled.

"This is great. We can head to California today."

"California?"

"It's where our team is."

    It wasn't the location you were concerned about, it was the number of people. You had gotten used to your quiet, uneventful, post-mob life. But maybe, a change of pace would be just what you needed.

    Whatever, you thought. The people in California are just a bunch rich, stuck up, shallow bunch who pay no mind to others anyway. Plus, the team probably wouldn't be able to catch Kira without all the help they could get.

    "Alright," you told him. "Let me get packed. Would you like to come in?" you asked, noticing the two of you were still in the hallway of the apartment building.