Chapter 3

The Ambulance got there very soon after and despite my protests I was put on a stretcher.

"I can walk you know."

I told the paramedic.

"I believe you, you saved that girl, but just let us take care of you alright? Take a deep breath will you?"

He placed an air mask over my mouth.

"Alright"

I mumbled into the mask already feeling the relaxing effects of it.

When I awoke my mother was sleeping in a chair facing my bed.

"Mom?"

I reached out and touched her. Her eyes opened and I immediately regretted waking her, bags hung darkly under her eyes and her eyes were pink from crying.

"Oh thank god."

she whispered stroking my good arm

"thank god."

"how'd you find out?"

I choked back tears seeing my mother so distraught.

"Your ID, in your bag. Two men from the government came to notify me. They said they wanted to speak to you when you were ready..."

She pulled a small white phone from her purse and set it on the side table.

"They said you're to use this phone to call them when you feel up to it."

I eyed the phone suspiciously.

"What did they look like? How do you know they work for the government?"

I questioned.

"they were both wearing grey suits one was a tall African American man with short hair and the other was an older gentleman complete with spectacles and a briefcase. I know they're part of the government because I used to see them when I visited your father at work. Now I'm not sure what it is they want from you, however if it involves you entering anymore shadows, so help me god Delilah, I'll send you to your aunt Maries house where the curfews and rules are so strict, you'll learn to respect the ones in place here."

She took a deep breath and looked at me square in the eye.

"Got it?"

too tired to protest I just nodded. A nurse bustled in and after checking the machines told my mother visiting time was over before shooing her out telling her to get some rest and eat something.

"Alrighty honey"

she said grabbing the IV Line.

"this will just help get into a nice dreamless sleep, which is what you need after that traumatic event."

She squeezed the syringe into the IV line and waited until it entered my system. After she left I felt the first wave of drowsiness, and I quickly fell into a deep slumber.