Two

October 5, 2020

You were sitting at your desk when one of the head fashion editors, Abby, walked past your desk and said quickly, "Come to my office."

You stood up and hurriedly followed behind her, trying to match her brisk pace.

Next week was London Fashion Week for menswear and the entire building was in a flurry over the preparations. Everyone had gotten their assignments, you included, but schedules were still being tweaked, the closet was still being raided and everyone was stressed out. The menswear fashion weeks were never as big of a spectacle as the fashion week for womenswear, but it was still important, it was still full of opportunities--it still mattered to everyone in the office.

You followed Abby into her office and her assistant closed the glass doors behind the two of you. You looked at the chair and tried to gauge whether or not you should sit down and she noticed. "No need, this will only take a second." She looked at a note on her desk. "So we have you at JW Anderson and then Vivian Westwood, right?" You nodded. "Okay, well we need you at Burberry--well, I need you at Burberry."

"Oh?" You weren't really sure what to say because you had thought there was already another writer going to Burberry--as was Abby, her seat in the front row secured.

"In my seat."

"Sorry?" You couldn't help the pure shock laced in your voice. You had only been at Vogue for a month. She had to be messing with you.

"The schedule got tweaked and now the McQueen show is right before it and I really want to see what they've done this season, and so I won't be able to make the Burberry show, but they've already done the seating chart and so I asked if I could send someone in my place."

"And you're sending me?"

"Yes. You haven't been here for long but you've churned out almost ten pieces for us--and they've all been exceptional.

"Thank you."

"This is a big opportunity for you, (Y/N). I convinced Edward to let me send you. There are going to be a lot of pictures, your face will probably end up in several publications, the magazine's name attached, so please, don't do anything stupid and write something good."

"Thank you, Abby."

"I have a feeling you're going to move up fast. You've got the talent and now I'm giving you the experience. Don't make me regret it."

"I won't." You shook your head quickly and tried to hide the ever-growing smile on your face.

"Dylan made an appointment for you at Burberry later today. They're going to loan you an outfit for the show. The time's in your email."

You nodded and she dismissed you as she sat in her chair and started typing on her computer. You all but skipped out of her office and tried to ignore the curious looks you got from those who noticed she had spoken to you. You checked your email and saw that your appointment at Burberry was for five o'clock, meaning that if you were going to be there on time, you were going to have to really buckle down and get your work done quickly.

***

You were a few feet away from the studio entrance when you texted Sarah, telling her that you had arrived. Once you got the text telling you to go in and where they were, you pulled open the heavy glass doors and walked up to the receptionist. You gave her your name and told her the studio number and once she confirmed you were allowed through, the security guard moved out of your way to let you down the hallway.