The Last Mile: Chapter One

"Here he comes" muttered Harvid. Ezekiel didn't understand the old man. He sits there, looking down at the grime covered floor. Every time Captain Finch strode down the length of the cells, he started his little chant. It was the same every time. Ezekiel wondered how long Harvid had actually been locked away here, but he couldn't ask for Harvid was completely oblivious to him.

But, in all honesty, Ezekiel didn't really care. More than any other time, he just wanted to keep to his thoughts. It wasn't as if there was anything else to do. "Call him Devil" continued Harvid. Ezekiel really did wish he would keep quiet. He was almost inviting Finch to choose their cell.

He could see the captains broad shadow stretch the length of the cells. There was only light at one end of the cells, and as you got further along the cells it got dimmer and dimmer, until you were plunged into complete darkness darkness. Ezekiel could only imagine the discomfort of those at the end. He himself was fortunate enough to be fairly close to the light.

Finch was nearing his cell. He held his breath, and called upon the four divines to spare him for one more week. Finch stopped momentarily infront of the cell, saw the look of horror on Ezekiel's face, grinned, and kept walking. Ezekiel let out a shakey breath, before copying his fellow prisoners in looking down the corridor to see where Finch would stop, and who would die.

Four cells down from Ezekiel, Finch stopped. He fumbled for his keys, before opening the cell door. As Ezekiel strained to see who was in the cell, he remembered one of the occupants. It was one of his men, Karkaroff. He also knew that Karkaroff shared a cell with a weed of a man. He was small and thin, although supposedly the best knife wielder in the Augarn Empire. Quite the contrast to Karkaroff, who's practically a giant, built like a house and preferably used heavy, cumbersome broadswords and war hammers.

He would know who out of the two of them would be headed for the noose as soon as they stepped out. Karkaroff would obviously be a much larger figure in the gloom, whereas his cell mate would be barely visible. He waited while Finch undid the binds of whoever was to go next with anxiety. He truly didn't want it to be one of his men.

Harvid was still babbling on, talking about retribution and the likes. His eyes were empty,cold and lifeless. He showed no awareness of his surroundings, apart from when he started talking as Finch entered. However, he did copy Ezekiel in leaning towards the corridor, interested to see todays victim. There was no mistake in who it was. Ezekiel knew straight away. Hauled to his feet, he was lead out of his cell. Eyes looked up all around.

It wasn't Karkaroff.

*

Ezekiel had known it wasn't Karkaroff before he even saw who it was. The fact that somebody was hauled up immediately eliminated Karkaroff from the two candidates. No man, however strong, could lift such a weight.

After having an hour or two of sitting around, the prisoners were led out into a large room filled with the smell of smoke, burnt food and sweat. In single file, they moved towards a large hatch in the wall where they were given food. Ezekiel took the bowl of food, wrinkled his nose with disgust, before sitting himself on a bench with Karkaroff.

"Ah, slop. My favourite" Ezekiel said with sarcasm.

"Maybe", grumbled Karkaroff, "but it's better than nothing".

Realising the conversation was probably going to be as dull as ever, Ezekiel looked for his other men. The two of them were situated at the back of the line, so he still had to put up with about five minutes of it.

"So, it was quite a scare today. Right?"

Karkaroff looked back with a puzzled expression, raising one eyebrow.