Chapter 4

I watched as George and Newt walk over to the building where the Gathering was supposed to take place. I caught myself admiring Newt, his fluffy hair, his strong arms, even the way he walked. Stop it Maria! Maria... my name. I straightened up whenever I even thought about it. It was my name. The only thing I remembered about myself, my identity, or who I was, but it was beautiful.

The walls did eventually close just like Newt said. I didn't think he would lie to me but the walls looked like they haven't moved in years. The scraping sound of the Doors closing was so loud that I had to cover my ears, but as soon as it started it ended. I eventually laid down for the a bit, while I tried to process everything. With the Gathering going on I got no other unexpected visitors. However, my thoughts always traced back to Newt. I felt a connection with him, even though I've only just met him. While I was still daydreaming about the mysterious boy Newt... (I mean thinking about all the jobs I could have!) I heard footsteps approaching the Slammer.

I sat up to see Alby approaching me. I instantly felt my guard go up, and I scooted back against the wall. When Alby noticed my reflex he reassured me saying, "George wants you to eat dinner with the rest of the Gladers." I didn't like the idea. I was starting to really like the seclusion, knowing no one was going to hurt me in here, but I didn't want to show anymore fear, so when Alby opened the door, I stepped out without hesitation. "Now I'm watching you Greenie, so don't try anything," Alby said sternly. "Yes sir," I said rolling my eyes. I would've gotten away from him in the maze if Newt and Minho weren't there.

We started walking to the building where the Gathering had just taken place. As we approached I heard the clanging of utensils mixed with laughter. I took a deep breath and as Alby opened the door. As I stepped inside I could see tables filled with boys laughing and eating food. There was still a line to get food, but it was short. Only a few of the boys seemed to notice that I walked in, and the ones that did just started whispering to their friends.

When it was finally my turn to get food the boy behind the counter turned to me and said, "Oh! It's the lady-bean! Nice to meet you! My name is Frypan!" He stuck out his hand to shake and I accepted. "Maria, I've heard a lot about you," I said remembering that Newt mentioned him once. I know I haven't actually heard that much about him, but I panicked a little at the thought of Newt. "All good things I hope!" Frypan said while handing me a plate, almost dropping it in the process. "Mhmm," I answered and took the plate.

I walked over to the only empty table in the whole room. I saw Alby walk over to the table where George was sat at. I plopped down in the bench and felt it move down a little with me, probably because that all the legs weren't exactly the same size. Ignoring this fact I started eating, and honestly, I was waiting for the boys to start yelling disgusting remarks at me. When they didn't for about two minutes I starting feeling very surprised and even started feeling a little more at easy.

Just then I felt the bench rock to the side due to someone sitting down in front of me. I looked up to see Newt smiling at me. "Hey Maria," he said, emphasizing my name. "Hey Newt, how was the Gathering?" I ask trying to sound nonchalant about the fact that Newt decided to sit down by me. He probably just felt bad for me. Honestly, for now that was okay with me. "Very, informational," Newt said between bites of his food. I've started to dig in as well, and the mashed potatoes were the best I've ever tasted. I guess that's not very hard to do, since I don't remember the last time I had mashed potatoes, but still.

"Tomorrow you'll start your job testing. First job will be Gardening in the morning and Slicing in the afternoon," Newt continued. I looked around a bit distracted at the boys around us. Though ease has already started to creep in, I still had my guard up. "Who you lookin' for lady-bean?" Newt asked confused. "Oh, no one. I just keep expecting one of the boys to shout something at me," I said quietly, slightly chuckling to myself at how conceded that sounded. "Well, that's not something you'll need to worry about. Alby brought it up at the Gathering and George right away agreed that if another shank was to hollar at you, he'd get a whole day in the Slammer with out food," he said nodding his head twords the table that George and Alby were at.

That really touched me, and I almost started feeling comfortable for a second. "And don't worry. If any of them try anything, they'll have me to answer to," Newt whispered to me with a wink. His breath against my ear sent shivers down my spine. I knew he was probably joking, but I felt my cheeks warm up. As Newt pulled away I heard another voice say, "Sharing secrets without me!?"

This voice belonged to Minho. He walked over to us with a big smile and plopped down next to me as if he's done it plenty of times before. "Wouldn't dream of it," Newt replied with a big smile on his face, greeting his friend. "So I know I kind of spoiled your getaway, which was totally awesome by the way, but my name is Minho! Welcome to the Glade lady-bean! I heard that's what we are calling you anyways," he said with a chuckle before he too started digging into his food.

Wow, so far all the boys I have met have been really nice. Newt, Minho, Frypan, George, even Alby was showing signs of consideration. As I was about to introduce myself with my name, the boy with the scowling eyebrows also joined us at our table. Newt and Minho stopped stuffing their faces for a second and silently looked up at him with blank expressions, their cheeks as puffed out like squirrels. "What are you looking at Slintheads?" he snapped. "Nothin' Gally, you just don't usually sit with us," said Newt as he returned his focus back on his food.

"Well, you usually don't sit with a girl either so I guess we are both trying something new today," Gally retorted, he looked back at me with a sickening smirk. "I bet she knows something too. Something from the Creators," Gally continued, looking to Minho and Newt for support, but they didn't give him any. "What? Maybe they sent her up for reproductive reasons," Gally said wiggling his eyebrows. This comment made me stop for a second. I guess I thought too quickly.

"Hey, watch it Gally! You forget what George said at the Gathering already?" Newt snapped back. I looked up at Newt and gave him a small thankful smile, but I'm not sure if he caught it. "What? I'm just making an observation, why else would she be here?" Gally said getting defensive. "Maybe to help us shanks get it together," Minho said moving around his mashed potatoes with his fork. I saw Newt look up at Minho with amusement.

"Wait you would really have a go at me for this new shank? You couldn't even take me," Gally said in disbelief while turning his whole body to face Newt. I guess it just hit him what Newt said about the Gathering. Gally: pretty slow, note taken. Newt didn't answer he just continued to stare at his food. "Wow, the baby maker already has you whipped-" Gally started, but got cut off by Newt slamming the table and grabbing him by the collar. "You better shut your bloody mouth right now, slinthead" Newt growled in a low tone.

"Hey, is everything okay there shanks?" George said while slowly walking up to our table. He looked over to me, but I made sure my expression didn't reveal anything. "Everything is fine here George, Gally was just leaving," Newt said releasing Gally's collar. George and Newt exchanged looks while Gally gathered his things.