Chapter 2

As soon as I was able to push myself out of the suffocating circle of teenaged boys, my legs moved as fast as they could away from them.  As I was running I frantically looked around to take in my surroundings.  I was in a fairly large clearing.  There was a multitude of poorly built shacks and buildings near two of the walls, another wall was covered by a forest, and the last one, the section I was in, was just an open clearing.  The whole space was surround by ginormous cement walls that had bits of vines growing out of them.  In the middle of each of the walls were huge openings. 

I couldn't take in many details as I was fleeing, but I heard the boys start shouting, "We've got a Runner!"  They seemed delighted with their observation, and I heard laughter erupt from behind me.  I made the quick decision, that if I was to get as far away from them as possible, I needed to leave the clearing.  It seemed like the only solution.  So as I ran through the grass I started making my way twords an opening.  By heart was thundering agaisnt my chest, and I was already running out of breath, but I willed myself not to give up. 

As I approached the opening I suddenly heard a change of tone in the shouts that were coming from the boys.  "She's going into the maze!" someone shouted in a panicked realization.  This is a Maze!? Well, at least I'll be able to loose them.  In that moment, the laughter was replaced by shouts of worry calling me back, telling me to stop.  "Like hell I will," I thought to myself as my legs continued to carry me forward as fast as they could twords the opening to the maze.  I took a quick glance back and saw the boys scurrying after me.  They were still a ways behind, but the image of my pursuiters breaking out into a run after me only fueled me to keep moving to the opening.  I finally made it to the opening and without hesitation, continued my escape. 

The corridor I entered had identical walls, to the walls that surrounded the clearing.  My feet slapped against the gravel, making loud echoes sound off all around me.  I felt sweat soak my shirt and trail down my forehead.  I felt my pace slow down, but I wasn't about to give up just yet.  I couldn't!  I was coming up to a fork in the corridor.  I glanced back at the band of boys as they neared the entrance to the corridor.  They all halted and wouldn't cross in.  I thought I was finally going to loose them, but then I saw the dark skinned boy break through the crowd and continue following me. 

I whipped my head back and randomly decided on a path.  Right before I was about to turn in, a bead of sweat fell into my eye forcing it to shut, and it refused to open up again.  I hissed in pain as the stinging sensation made both my eyes water.  My vision became blurred from the tears, but I continued running while trying to rub the sweat out of my eyes.  "Hey!" I heard the dark skinned boy's voice boom from behind me.  I turned back again and realized his blurry figure was gaining on me.  I turned in the rightmost direction by the entrance to the next corridor while still looking behind me, and suddenly, I felt myself slam into a solid structure. 

I stumbled backwards and fell on my butt.  Do the walls around here move?  I was so certain that I turned at the right moment to make it through the opening.  I was about to scramble up again when the structure spoke, "I'm sorry- wait, it's a girl?"  I looked up to see the owner of this beautiful British voice, was in fact not a wall, but a tall blond hair boy.  I blinked away the remaining sweat and tears to get a better look at him.  Unlike the boy with the scowling eyebrows, this boys blond hair was floppier and fluffier.  He wore a soft expression of concern and slight amusement.  "Wow, you're commentary really is immaculate," the boy next to him remarked sarcastically.  This other boy looked down at me with confusion.  His black hair that fell over his dark almond shaped eyes.  He was buff, but not as buff as the guy who was chasing me. 

Wait, there was a guy chasing me.  At this moment I snapped back into reality and sprung back onto my feet.  I was about to run past the blond hair boy when he stepped in front of me and put his arms up, not allowing me to continue down the corridor.  "I'm sorry love, but I can't let you pass," he said with an apologetic smile.  Pfft.  Hands aren't going to stop me.  I was about to duck under his arms and sprint past these two boys when I felt two hands grab my shoulders, from behind, and yank me to the ground.  I gave out a small yelp as I fell straight on my back, and the wind was knocked straight out of my lungs. 

As I struggled to regain my breath, the buff, dark skinned boy flipped me on my stomach and put my hands behind my back.  "Let me go!" I screamed out in protest as soon as I could breathe again.  "Woah, Alby, don't you think you're being a little too aggressive.  She's just a scared little Greenie, and it's her first day," the British boy said coming to my defence.  I didn't appreciate being called a 'scared, little Greenie' but so far, this was the only act of kindness I have received since I got chucked out of the cage, so I will take what I can get. 

"She's not supposed to be in here!" exclaimed the boy called Alby as I continued to struggle under his grip.   "Well of course not!  It's not like she's a runner slinthead!" the boy with the dark hair replied sarcastically, again.  "This has never happened when Newt would greet the Greenies," he added pointing to the blondie standing next to him.  "Shut it Minho! If you weren't the Keeper of the Runners I would have you thrown into the Slammer!" Alby replied aggravated.  He finally managed to secure a rope tighly around my wrists despite my continued screams of protest.  "Where are you taking her Alby?" Newt asked with a concerned tone.  "The Slammer, that's the only place for this shank 'til she calms down," Alby said pushing me forward to where I just worked so hard to get away from. 

The boys that I left behind started cheering for Alby.  Some were screaming innocent congratulations to Alby for capturing their escaped prisoner, while others screamed obscenities that made me sick to my stomach.  "We gonna get some tonight!" was one of the comments that made me dig my heels into the ground and whimper a continued stream of "please" and "no," begging Alby to reconsider bringing me back.  I felt a knot of dread form in my chest when he continued to push me forward ignoring my please for mercy.  As we reached the entrance of the maze, the sea of boys parted for us.  My ears were filled with the foul comments the boys started making about my body and appearance.  I wanted to cover my ears and pull my hood on like I did in the cage, but with my hands tied behind my back, this small comfort wasn't an option.  I tried to move my shoulders up to my ears in attempts to cover them, but it was no use.  I guess Alby noticed my discomfort or just became uncomfortable himself because he quickened his step, but didn't tell the boys to stop.