Ch: 7 Susan

Chapter 7

Susan

“Sarah?” Edmund gulped. He was nervous, of that, I was sure but Swanwhite was oblivious to it and Lucy hid her emotions quite well.

“Sarah?” Queen Swanwhite smiled pleasantly. “How do you all know her?”

“We met her in shadowlands ofEngland.” I replied quietly, all my attention on my brother.

Swanwhite saw the panicked look on Edmund’s face and so, she said, “Don’t worry. Her looks are quite deceiving, aren't they? I don’t really know much about her parentage or anything but I know this much that she is not like Jadis at all.”

When she spoke of Jadis, a disgusted look came over her face but she continued. “Moreover, I am certain she wouldn’t be here if she was like her.”

Her words made sense and so it was in a bit lighter mood that Ed, Lu and I made our way towards where Eustace, Jill and Sarah were standing.

“Peter. Edmund.” Sarah greeted us cheerfully.

“Sarah” I nodded emtionlessly while Edmund just managed a small, fake smile.

“Wow! Your enthusiam on seeing me is surely flattering.” She noted sarcastically.

I asked her the same question I had asked before. However, this time my voice was devoid of any emotion instead of angry. “Who are you?”

She smiled once again and said, “I repeat. My name’s Sarah.”

“Why do you look so much like White Witch?” Edmund asked. Surprisingly, his voice did not falter in the least.

“You will come to know about it all in due time.” Was her simple reply.

“When did you come in Aslan’s country?” Lucy was the one to ask.

Sarah laughed. “I have been here for a far longer time than any of you.”

My brows furrowed in confusion. Seeing that we all were confused she somewhat cleared our doubts. “I was sent by Aslan to the Shadowlands to help you all. I suppose I got angry when you gave Lucy those gifts and sent Edmund to sleep in Roger’s home.”

“So, you thought it would be a good revenge to threaten us?” Eustace raised his eyebrows.

Sarah’s reaction was strange. She smiled though her smile was obviously fake. “I guess, I was annoyed.” Her voice quivered a little. Suddenly, changing the topic, she asked Ed, Lu and me, “Do you all want to see Susan?”

I ignored her uneasiness for I was just delighted at prospect of seeing my sister. Since our last trip to Narnia Susan has avoided anything related to it so much that eventually she had forgotten about it completely.

“Wait a second.” Sarah said, “Let me warn you before-hand. She is not in the best of situation at the moment. So, I am not guaranteeing that you will be happy after seeing her.”

“At least we get to see her.” Lucy said shrugging. Therefore, Sarah led the three of us towards a nearby field. Eustace and Jill did not accompany us.

Once we were there, Sarah bent down and picked up a handful of dust. Standing up, she let them fall slowly to the ground. As the soil fell, a small depression began to form there. Eventually that depression filled up with water oozing out of the ground. So, in a few minutes we were looking at a pond. The water was so still that it acted almost as a reflector. Sarah moved her index finger over the water in a fluid motion. It was later that I found out she had written ‘Susan Pevensie’ over the water.